turkey hunting - Page 6 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > Other Hunting Topics > Turkey Hunting

Old 04-11-2012, 09:09 AM
B&C 180 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfdeputy2 View Post
Congrats on the bird
Like Tator we can only hunt till Noon not all day our season does not start till May 3rd Youth starts April 28th really stinks as the birds have been active for a few weeks already

I agree--- our birds here in MO have been prancing around like they own the place for over 3 weeks!
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2012, 09:58 AM
B&C 140 Class

Well it would make calling them in much easier in late season if you couldn't set up on a roost or their main breeding spot, as far as that can't hunt past mid day well I guess it would bother me too just caz but I rarely hunt past about 9 to 10 anyways, I did take the boy in the evening over the youth weekend but that was caz I realy wanted to get him on a bird and it was only two days, if it were longer we would had hunted mornings only.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:17 AM
B&C 140 Class

Season opener in the morning. Already got one picked out of a group of five in my first spot, if these birds only knew what tomorrow was they would be best to just stay in the tree !! Lol. now as long as I didn't jinks myself it shouldn't be to bad only allowed two toms and have like 22 days to get them.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:40 AM
B&C 180 Class

Well just made plans to go out Mon morning in the a.m. that's opening day for us here in MO. Got my buddy coming up to call one in for me- he's one of those guys who can naturally call in turkeys without using any type of calls or equipment. Pretty awesome to see and hear. He's got hundreds and hundreds of beards and spurs to prove it too. LOL
Hoping to kill my first bird EVER. Yeah, I know, shocker... but I'm a deer guy at heart!
Old 04-13-2012, 12:34 PM

Good Luck tator
Hope you get a nice big gobbler

"If George Washington was asked for his I.D. do you think he just wipped out a quarter?"
Steven Wright
Old 04-13-2012, 01:16 PM
B&C 180 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfdeputy2 View Post
Good Luck tator
Hope you get a nice big gobbler

Well let's just say no one has taken a turkey off this piece of land in over 10 years and the surrounding neighbors do not turkey hunt at all. There are PLENTY out there.... This is as excited as I've ever been about turkey hunting. Need to get the dust off the ol' shotgun this weekend! LOL

Thanks for the good luck... I'll post pics if I get anything. PLUS, my buddy is going to video the hunt for me as well. He wants to do it, and has done it w/his kids for a long time, so I said sure... what the heck.

Old 04-13-2012, 09:35 PM
B&C 140 Class

Well good luck Tator !! Sounds like you'll have potential to be on a hot spot, it just started raining here (8:30 pm) birds will be all over the fields in the morning
Old 04-14-2012, 10:22 AM
B&C 140 Class

Busted a nice Tom this morning. Just over 19 lbs, 8.5" beard, 1" spur left leg, 1 1/8 spur right leg. Had wife get up this morning to take a pic of me with it before I cleaned it out. Will post up pic later today after I transfer from phone to home putter.
Was perfect condition, little cool, just enough breeze to shake the decoy every now n then, and started with a light drizzle rain and as soon as it stopped birds couldn't get in the field fast enough, and well the ol Tom sure didn't like my pretty boy already being there lol

ok im just going to add pics here with an edit
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012 spring turkey spurs.jpg (93.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 2012 spring turkey 2.jpg (92.8 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by on_the_fly; 04-14-2012 at 04:36 PM. Reason: add pics
Old 04-16-2012, 05:37 AM
B&C 140 Class

Good luck this morning Tator !! I'm getting ready to go again myself, looks like I'm gonna get wet this morning.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:59 AM
B&C 180 Class

GOOD bird onf!! Didn't go this morning b/c of the wind. We had rainy conditions all weekend long here in Missouri and FINALLY today it was supposed to stop. The wind gusts were up to 35-40mph! Crazy. Plus, I didn't have time to go out scouting them this weekend to find where exactly they were roosting- I had a good idea, but wasn't 100% sure. Planning on going out wednesday morning for sure.

I did drive by my hunting place and saw about 10 hens out in the bottom and two strutting toms... they were HUGE. I now wish I had gone out anyways this morning,,,, but it would've been hard to call them in and plus to know exactly where they were at.