turkey hunting - Page 4 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > Other Hunting Topics > Turkey Hunting

Old 05-10-2011, 04:01 PM
B&C 140 Class

Same here our fall turkey is archery for the deer season set till Jan something but we also have a week of shotgun usually right after the first deer muzzle loader weekend. N can take 4 birds in the fall but only one can have over a 6" beard, n only two of the four can be harvested with a shotgun but you can take all four with a bow. We mostly target hens in the fall good eating for that years spring hatch. Good freezer food usually around 8 to 10 lbs each.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2011, 05:35 AM

we also have a shotgun fall season but it is 5 days only Mon-Fri I think it is in the begining of Oct. we can only get 1 in the spring & 1 in the fall
so I don't do the shotgun as I am already bow hunting & have to work Mon-Fri

"If George Washington was asked for his I.D. do you think he just wipped out a quarter?"
Steven Wright
Old 02-19-2012, 07:31 PM
Scrub Buck

Hey ya'll...alabama deer hunter here...gonna start turkey hunting for the first time myself this season....any tips would be greatly appreciated. :) Thanks and have a blessed day :)
Old 02-21-2012, 09:15 AM
B&C 180 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeco View Post
Hey ya'll...alabama deer hunter here...gonna start turkey hunting for the first time myself this season....any tips would be greatly appreciated. :) Thanks and have a blessed day :)

Find a buddy that can call in turkey's EASILY! I have finally found one! lol

Seriously though- those type of guys typically love calling them in for buddies rather than hunting themselves!
Old 02-22-2012, 07:53 AM
B&C 120 Class

1. FInd a dirt mound on the edge of a field.
2. Dig out the top like a crater and sit in it.
3. Make some turkey sounds, dont even have to sound good.
4. Put your head down and take a nap.
5. Sleep.
6. When you here a turkey cluck, slowly raise your head, ID the bird and shoot.
7. Chase bird through the woods and shoot again.
8. Return to the dirt mound to retrieve another turkey load.
9. Continue chasing the turkey down a steep hill until it you get close.
10. Use your last shot wisely.

Maybe this isn't the ideal turkey hunt but this is how my first sucessful trukey hunt went down. It was also a solo hunt, senior year of high school. I will never forget that hunt and since I have refined my turkey hunting skills and strategies but in no wise consider myself an expert.

That was a Friday morning. The following monday I set up on the edge of a field across the road from the above location where I watched a flock come out every morning. That big tom followed his flock out like he always did and I took him in a more traditional turkey hunt. (scout, pattern, set up, harvested all according to plan). I got my first two turkeys in the same weekend, hunting solo with my Great Grampas Single shot 12 guage,

Be careful out there - its addicting in a different way than deer hunting.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:36 AM
B&C 140 Class

If I was going out for the first time knowing what I do now. First I would get a decoy set, ( I love my pretty boy pretty girl pair by carry light) go to a field you know the birds are going to (and it would be a good to know where they come in and out of it at, it will always be the same spot give or take about 40 yards.) if hunting a field you need to know how far your gun will reach, ( my gun will reach 60 yards no problem with a 3 1/2" #4 shot heavy load. but I try to get all my birds under 35 yards. So I set my decoys 20 yards into the field and I set up 5 to 10 yards back into the woods. If you have a (hot field) I wouldn't call at all. Even if the toms are (hen'ed up) the hens will graze over to the decoys with toms fallowing. Set your decoys in a pre-breed position, (that's hen decoy setting on the ground and the Tom/jake decoy standing about a foot behind ( I like to set him off to one side alittle more and give him a little of a diagonal turn with him facing the back of the hen. This set up is the hen sitting on the ground means she is ready to breed and is waiting for the male to climb on her back for mating. The Tom decoy that close to the rear looks like he is about to mount for breeding. ( some people like to set their Tom decoy right against the back of the hen as if already breeding) but I get better responce with the real Tom to run in and cut of the pre atemp faster than the breed set. Hunting a field with this set up there is realy no need to make any calls, watching my pet turkeys when they are breeding they make no noise. I could talk turkey all day but I've typed all this with one finger on my phone so I'm stoping for now lol, i have a pic on my phone of the set up from my blind when my son was hunting with my and got his first jake, ill post it up
Attached Images
File Type: jpg camturkey2.jpg (94.0 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by on_the_fly; 02-24-2012 at 11:34 AM.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:03 PM
B&C 140 Class

I'm already getting antsy !!! i've seen some nice folks in a few of my field areas the past few days, (not struting yet but glad to see them close to one of my best spots to blind hunt) .....come on April !!!!..... ( ky date's are april 7-8 youth only then general season saturday april 14th -through may 6th (23 days to be able to harvest 2 birds ) again ... come on april.. need some turkey and some morel's for the freezer......!!!!!! weee wa wa weeeeee wa wa weeeee

Last edited by on_the_fly; 03-01-2012 at 07:52 PM.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:24 AM

well saw a flock down the road this am counted 50 birds
with about 15 longbeards they were gobblin, Struting & fighting O.T.F I am now getting antsy too but it is a long way to April 28th (Youth weekend for my daughter) & May 3rd (for me) just have to try & keep my cool for awhile

"If George Washington was asked for his I.D. do you think he just wipped out a quarter?"
Steven Wright
Old 03-15-2012, 01:20 AM
B&C 140 Class

well seen a big group today in the field wth 5 toms strutting !!! my wife thought i was gonna run off the road trying to count birds lol, im ready minus the rod tips i had to order to repair my hub style ground blind, but they should be here any day now. the only down fall to hub blinds is some parts wear out. but o well its been a great blind so i figured it was best and cheaper to fix than replace although i got my eye on the (BIG MIKE ) blind. since things are tight i guess it will wait till summer
Old 04-02-2012, 08:43 AM
B&C 140 Class

It's here !!! Youth this weekend, my boy is all geared up n ready looking for a long beard, he shot two hens in the fall season befor last and a jake last spring, so since he out did me on deer this year I think he feels he's on a lucky streak and gonna put it on the ol man one more time for turkey as well lol