Deer Hunting Forums banner

Got a turkey :)

4K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  BruceBruce1959 
#1 ·
Opening day of Wisconsin turkey season today...had some real close encounters all day. Right off of the roost this morning I had two nice toms come in to about 45 yards but I just didn't take the shot for some reason. Later in the day I snuck up on some turkeys but they were in a thick spot when one stuck his head up, took the shot and he flew away. Finally at about noon I saw 3 toms in my friends field. I went and sat in the woods below the field and called them in to about 30 yards. This time when I shot he hit the ground. The 20 gauge did the job that's for sure. This one was 22lbs, 10 inch beard with 7/8" spurs.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Yeah I understand that part completely. A few years ago a couple high school kids got shot by a turkey hunter. One is mostly blind now but luckily they both survived. I understand the dangers of it completely so I'm as careful as I can. When I did it the turkeys were out in a field so I snuck into the woods next to it and got them to come into the woods a little ways. I shot in a safe direction and I know that nobody was between me and those turkeys, or beyond the turkeys for that matter. I would never shoot at something if I wasn't sure what it was...

G
#6 ·
a guy here did that very thing, but the guy in full camo beyond the birds got a face full of shot. so its a never do no mater what. besides being real hard to get close enough for the pellets to do their job. thems some darn good eyes. has wiss loosened up their season? they were real tough weren't they

#7 ·
In Wisconsin we have 6 spring seasons. Today was the start of the first one and it ends on Sunday. The second season starts next Wednesday and ends next Sunday and so on and so on..You have to apply for a season (you get two choices but in the end they only give you one) and that's the season that you get to hunt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.