Deer Hunting Forums banner

A good start

4K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  joel the signman 
#1 ·
I took my 9 y/o nephew out for his first turkey hunt over the weekend and had some good luck. We located several birds, and called them right in to about 7 yards from our "blind". Shane made a perfect shot on his bird, and when the birds stayed there he turned and said "get one! get one!"...I coudn't resist.

See less See more
#6 ·
I don't think I have ever seen him so excited as he was after he shot his bird. Was neat to see someone's first hunt. I never had anyone to take me hunting and show me how things are done...I just learned as I went. I think this gives shane a step up on things, and hopefully in the next few years he will take off with it.

Those birds are of the Rio Grande variety, and they are both Jakes.

#8 ·
Well, I forgot my camera this morning, but we ended up with a couple more birds over the weekend. One of my buddies shot a 21lb. turkey with a 10" beard. That is a very good bird for this area. He was excited. They would not respond to the call so we had to put the sneak on him. It was a long stalk that spanned over a mile and 3 different properties, but we were patient and the perfect situation finally came around. I will get some pics of that bird put up tomorrow...my other buddy down this weekend shot a Jake, but I don't think we got any pics of that one.

#10 ·
Well, I forgot my camera this morning, but we ended up with a couple more birds over the weekend. One of my buddies shot a 21lb. turkey with a 10" beard. That is a very good bird for this area. He was excited. They would not respond to the call so we had to put the sneak on him. It was a long stalk that spanned over a mile and 3 different properties, but we were patient and the perfect situation finally came around. I will get some pics of that bird put up tomorrow...my other buddy down this weekend shot a Jake, but I don't think we got any pics of that one.

#11 ·
nice pics everyone:yes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.