Deer Hunting Forums banner

Trying to secure hunting land

5K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Hunting Man 
#1 ·
I am in the process of trying to secure some land to hunt turkey's. It is 80 acres which I think is loaded with birds. The owner is an elderly lady whom my mother has known for years. Currently there is a old farm house on the land with 2 brothers living there. The father of the boys has been keeping up with the upkeep of the house for the past 18 years and no one has hunted (supposebly) the land. One of the sons has a child so Fred has not wanted any hunters but has said he is alright with me turkey hunting. I would like to possibly bow hunt the land in a few years if all goes well and Fred is alright with it. The father, Fred, took care of the landowners relative that lived in the farm house the last year of his life. When the landowners relative passed , Fred was given the right to stay rent free in return for upkeep on the farmhouse. In the process of trying to secure this hunting land, the landowner has contacted her nephew who is a lawyer, to right a lease for Ken for $1 a year in the case something were to happen to her. I think she is worried that Ken might try to claim what she has called "squatters rights". I have asked her if I could lease all hunting rights to the land and she was alright with that but advised me to contact her nephew ( the lawyer ). There is a large parcel of land that connects 2 sides of this property owned by a dairy farmer that harvests corn and beans on the 80 acres. I know the dairy farmer and family deer and turkey hunt and not sure if they have been hunting her 80 acres or not. Any lawyers out there that might have some insight on this process would be appreciated. I really don't want to pay big lawyer fees if possible. Other option would be to have a verbal agreemant or a letter from the landowner.
Thanks for any help or suggestions.

See less See more
#2 ·
try a legal website maybe they might help for free.good .luck sounds like a great spot

#3 ·
Sounds like you are close to making the deal. I would deal directly with the lawyer nephew tell him who you are and your relationship to the owner and that she gave you permission to hunt. He can then write out the written permission and I would try to avoid the lease word, he might see money in it.

#4 ·
I finally secured some more land to chase after some gobblers. I talked with the landowners nephew, who is the lawyer, and he is writing up a leagal lease to the land. Though I am sharing the land with someone else, 80 acres is alot and I think we will be able to work out a good hunt schedule so we are out there at different times.

#7 ·
I hunted across the street on a 320 acre dairy farm the past 5 years. About 75% of the land is farm fields and the rest are woods. The first 3 years were great. I shared it with the farmers neighbor and was in contact with him all year. I shot my biggest bird to date 11 inch beard 25lbs. and 1 3/8 spurs. The last 2 years were awwwfulll. I continued to see alot of birds but there were not 2 of us, but, 6 guys (counting me)hunting the land. I was in contact with the neighbor still but one of the new guys worked for a outdoor production company. Yep, he got paid to hunt. So he was out there all of the time. We were able to split the land, he took the east 160 acres and I took the west 160 acres. The other 3 guys to my knowledge hunted the late April season and I knew of 2 toms being shot.
Hopefully this new land will work out. My season starts May 5th-31st. I will let u all know how it goes.

#8 ·
Land secured, BUT, I will be sharing it with another hunter. I have spoken with this person and he did not seem to keen on sharing the land. He stated he was given permission by the person who lives on the land which is not the owner. He also stated he hunts every night and all weekend. And, sometimes he has to work on Saturday's so that would be my day to hunt. I don't think so. Who does this S.O.B think he is. I spoke with the landowner and she was not to happy. She requested that I forward all information to her nephew (lawyer) to handle.
I was out scouting the land last weekend and there is alot of birds around. I watched numerous hens and saw 4 toms, one in strut. The toms are starting there pecking order of dominance. Two of the toms were fighting as the other two whatched on. Pretty cool stuff. First time I have ever seen this act of nature.
I am going to continue pursuing this land and see what happens. Hopefully I don't run into problems.

#10 ·
sounds like you did it the right way and the other guy was trying to scare ya off.i bet you win out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.