hard knot turkeys - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > Other Hunting Topics > Turkey Hunting

Old 04-15-2008, 10:06 PM
Scrub Buck

Default hard knot turkeys

Hey guys...These past 2 days,I've been hunting on my uncle's Farm..The past 2 days The turkeys have roosted in a small Valley between his property and another farmers property...it's perfect for turkey hunting because of the hardwoods and all the open area....But for some Reason,when the turkeys pitch down in the morning..they go straight to the other hill and stay there all DAY!Tell time to roost,then they come back down and fly back up in the tree's...One of the guys who hunts that place(who is a deer hunter only)told me that they strut up there all day...

soo..my question is.....Is there like,any idea on how to pull out of there strutting area and in to gun range?....

2 all day hunts have prooven it's hard....
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2008, 10:36 PM
ronn

First thing I'd try is getting permission to hunt the other hill. How do you hunt the area you are in? If it were me I'd make like a couple hens working the hill you are on with a stroll and call type deal using a long stroll, like a 1/2 mile calling every 20 yards, even working away from the toms and then back again. Or if they are talking to you work away calling to them and go silent and go back where they would be if they came to you and sit quite for an hr or more. then start soft yelping sparingly. Another thing to try is the use of a gobbler call or even fighting purrs with two different calls. Just when you stroll make sure you aren't seen moving. Good luck

Last edited by ronn; 04-15-2008 at 11:31 PM.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 01:17 AM
B&C 100 Class

I dont know if its posible but if their roosting on your land try busting them up at night and then set up on your side early with some decoys. The key is to bust them well. This tactic will also work in the fall.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:52 AM
ronn

one thing i would not do is just set up working my way closer and closer to them. if you do they be thinking things are working just the way they want. oh and stay after them one more time just may be the right one.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:12 PM
Scrub Buck

I've tried most of that...

today,I did get a veiw of the bird that has been driving me insane...My Uncle said he's gotta be the boss of all toms in The county...

we're gonna give him a couple of days...then we're gonna go back in....

how many decoys is too many?
Old 04-16-2008, 09:38 PM
ronn

If he's the boss then a gobbler call may just do the trick.
Old 04-26-2008, 08:49 PM
B&C 180 Class

any luck ,we need updates
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky