Turtle - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > Other Hunting Topics > Turkey Hunting

Old 04-11-2008, 10:21 PM
B&C 180 Class

Default Turtle

good luck with those gobblers 4/12/08 hope ya bag a longbeard with big spurs
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2008, 06:06 PM
B&C 120 Class

First ever turkey hunt I was so excited. Kids kept waking up all night scared of thunderstorms so I got a late start,left out a little before noon . Got to WMA and another hard shower hit waited 15 or 20 minutes for it to let up a little. Packed up everything they use on T.V. except camera crew. Carried load out to site and began to set-up camp. First the full size two man doghouse type blind to keep everything dry. Then folding chair, bow stand, bow and nocked arrow. Next I set out the decoy, man she was pretty.

As I get back into I strap on my release, and pick-up the push-pull box call. That when the storm really hit. Hard rain and very strong gust of wind that about blew away my little camp. Back outside to put out stakes that I thought really weren't necessary. Now back inside to ready magazine while this little storm blows over.

Probably 30 minutes pass and so does the storm. The skies clear up the birds start singing and I'm getting excited. Once again strap on the release and now to start calling. Call a few times and nothing, once more and I hear it. A gobble returned but he's very far away. A little later and a few more calls and there he is again, a little closer but not much. I know he's still on other side of paved road. A little later and a few more calls I hear a car blowing it's horn. I think he's crossing.

I start to call again and the phone I thought was off begins to ring. I quikly answer it just to stop the noise. It was my sister she was at the hospital with my mom and they think she's had a mild stroke. I pack up and head to vehicle. As I get on paved road there he is on my side of the road about 300 yards from where I was, the biggest turkey I've ever seen in my life Although that's not many.

I got to the hospital and see mom. She seems to be fine now but they are doing a MRI and what not to be sure. Don't won't a more serious one later on. I hugged her, gave her hard time and told her just just might of saved a turkeys life today.

All in all in was good, glad mom ok and what a rush having a turkey actually answer me. For my first time I had a blast and considered it a successful hunt. It gave me confidence I didn't have before and I'm sure it'll payoff later on.
Old 04-12-2008, 09:14 PM
B&C 180 Class

wow what a day.glad to hear your moms okay.you must be a decent caller to get a bird to cross road with cars on itWe can only hunt till noon your lucky.next time get out at sunrise and youll really hear some gobbling.who boy the woods are going nuts.go back to the same spot.and get some sleep
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 04-12-2008, 09:16 PM

Hey Turtle, sounds like you had quite an adventure. I guess it was a turkeys lucky day today huh. I am very glad to hear that your mom is OK and hope that she continues to have good health. The turkey or whatever you may be hunting will always be there for "another day, another way".
Old 04-12-2008, 09:29 PM
B&C 120 Class

Thanks guys, Everyone's been saying their not gobbling much but should pick-up next two weeks. I'll be out earlier next time don't know why I waiting so long to start hunting turkeys. It's great , and I never knew it.
Old 04-12-2008, 10:24 PM

Glad your mom is ok. That turkey might be around for you the next time your out. Sounds like a good first hunt anyway you look at it. That tom must have been ready for a hen!
Old 04-13-2008, 05:52 PM
B&C 140 Class

Glad To Hear Your Mom Is Doing Good!!sounds Like You Had A Full Day. Go Back Out There And Get That Big Tom.
Old 04-13-2008, 06:42 PM
B&C 120 Class

My luck he'll be road kill by time I get back out. Been a lot of car strikes this year. But I'm good, what a rush having a wild animal answer your call. I definitely be back.