Want To Try Tukey Hunting?? - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > Other Hunting Topics > Turkey Hunting

Old 02-26-2008, 06:38 AM
B&C 140 Class

Default Want To Try Tukey Hunting??

I Have A Few Questions?what Type Of Choke Should I Use Full,xfull,xxfull?also What Type Of Shot.should I Use A Ground Blind Or Sit Next To A Tree,calls,and Decoy?i Have A Large Flok Of Turkeys Behind My House And One Very Large Tom I Have Seem Them Many Times And Know The Area Where They Are.which Is Better Morning Or Afternoon?i'm New To Turky Hunting So Any Advise Would Be Great.thanks In Advance
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2008, 08:59 AM

You should decide the choke by the the shooting pattern you Desire.
Use a Turkey Target <-(courtesy download by Remington) at 40 yards to see your shot pattern between the Different chokes...
Use the one that stays grouped the best.

If you have Turkeys right behind the house, Why wait for turkey season to start? I would say go sit out there NOW in full camo use a net mask also to make sure your face is covered.. Bring a Camera and calls and see what works best for you. Turkeys have keen eyesight, they don't miss a thing. This will be good practice for you and it will help you decide which time is best morning/afternoon. and whether you should use a blind or not same goes for the decoy,s try them to see If ole' Tom Turkey likes Fake gals or not... This is the approach I would take, Good Luck To You.

Old 02-26-2008, 10:00 AM
B&C 180 Class

i respectfully disagree with ya bruce on trying out hid tactics now on the turkeys he s planning on hunting.For a bird who has a brain the size of a peanut its pretty darn smart.he could spook them away to never return.the gun info was spot on.i would try those turkeys only if i wasnt going to hunt them.thats my 2 cents
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 02-26-2008, 10:33 AM
B&C 140 Class

I would have to agree------Why educate them now, they are already a pain in the butt.
Old 02-26-2008, 02:55 PM

Yeah You guys are right I guess I wasn't thinking about it from a new turkey hunters approach. So my advice could have been a little more constructed BUT spooked turkey or Not you'll still be ok.

Here's a clip from an Article titled

"Ten Secrets To Taking More Turkeys With Ray Eye"
In this article Hunterís Specialtiesí Pro Staffer Ray Eye Says and I quote:

"Donít Forget: Spooked Turkeys Are Still Takeable Turkeys:
Hunters often make the mistake of believing when they spook a turkey, or they shoot at a turkey and miss, they canít call that same turkey back on that same day. Iíve learned that turkeys forget pretty quickly. Mistakenly, turkey hunters assume that turkeys have human characteristics. You may remember missing or spooking a gobbler for days, weeks, even years, but more than likely, the turkey has forgotten whatís happened within 20 minutes. Many hunters over analyze a turkey and wonder what that turkey is thinking. That turkey isnít thinking about anything, heís just being a turkey.

Remember that everything spooks turkeys. Coyotes, bobcats, loud noises and mushroom hunters spook turkeys. By nature, turkeys are nervous birds. But turkeys donít quit breeding, eating, walking, roosting, drinking water or traveling because theyíve gotten spooked.

To take a turkey that you either have spooked or shot at and missed, change your position and your call, and try to take the turkey as though nothing has happened. Too, remember the turkey youíve missed or the turkey you spooked probably isnít the only gobbler in the area. So, when you change positions and switch calls, you have a very good chance of calling the turkey youíve spooked or calling another gobbler.

Spooking a gobbler off the roost is a common mistake many turkey hunters make. You think you know the tree that the turkey has flown into or the area where youíve last heard him, but when you reach that spot, you walk right under the turkeyís roost and flush him. Many hunters will think their hunts are over, but they arenít.
"

Old 02-26-2008, 05:12 PM
ronn

Whitetailfever, Go call that bird if you want, but the beards and tails on my wall tell me not to "educate" that bird. Don't show your hand before its time. There is some truth in the article that BB posted but you WILL educate that bird. What I got from the post and it is true, it is POSSIBLE to shoot an educated bird. its something that I think is beyond a first time turkey hunter to try and figure out. at least without some one to help him make the right move to get another chance. Why risk it? turkeys are funny, sometimes "it" maters and sometimes "it" doesn't.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 05:43 PM

Great advice everybody. For a new hunter just keep things basic. A full choke will work fine, just check the shot pattern with a turkey head target at around 35-40 yards and keep the shells in which you have the tightest, most dense pattern with. For calling you could use a slate call with a striker or better yet a push button box call that imitates the yelp of a turkey with the push of a button. It could snap right to the bottom of your gun barrel and it's wooden not electronic for legal hunting. The yelp is the easiest and most used call done by turkeys and you should learn that call first before any other. For camo cover all body parts especially hands and face and when the time comes sit next to a tree that is a little bigger than your outline or use thick bushes and such for good cover, and you must be very still and quiet or else you go from tail fan to tail tuck.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:17 PM
B&C 180 Class

make sure you wear gloves ,face mask or paint,and dont let your white socks show.turkeys have amazing eyesight and a270 degreee field of vision.Try an easy yelper by quaker boy or something similar.Primos makes some good educational turkey videos some come with calls.if you can learn to master a mouth call your ahead of the game.it allows you to have both hands free.dont worry bout bagging a bird just go out and have some fun.be safe and good luck
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 02-26-2008, 06:23 PM
ronn

H.S. Strut has a DVD out that is nothing but hen talk and what different hunting pros say it means. Its the best turkey hunting DVD ever and I don't think they even shoot a bird. H.S. STRUT REAL STRUT TALK DVD COMBO. its only 30 mins long but I recommend it for everyone. It shows hens making the actual sounds. just fantastic. Get it you won't be sorry.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 08:58 AM
B&C 140 Class

I Want To Thank Everybody For All The Great Advise.