Bow Hunting Turkey - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > Other Hunting Topics > Turkey Hunting

Old 12-06-2007, 04:47 PM
B&C 100 Class

Default Bow Hunting Turkey

I have killed 4 turkeys with a gun and am going to try my luck with a bow. Have any of y'all already accomplished this feat and if so i would love to hear some tactics as far as your set up and if you used a blind and what brodheads you used. i have heard of one called the gillatine (spelling?) the you are suposed to shot the head of the turkey. i know that 20yds in a could hit it but i just wanted to know if anyone has used one before. thanx in advance!!
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2007, 07:33 PM
B&C 140 Class

good luck hunting and I'm still tryin' to get one with the gun.
Old 12-06-2007, 08:27 PM
B&C 180 Class

Im gonna try this spring for a bow turkey i was told ya shoot it in the body.As i get the info i'll pass it on
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 12-07-2007, 12:40 PM
B&C 100 Class

I found the broadheads i was looking for the are called the Gobbler Guillotine found them on the cabelas site. i couldn't find any reviews though. i would like to see other hunters thopught before i order them. sounds like a sweet set up a little challenging but i think i could get it down in a couple of weeks of leting them fly. i just hate to move my pins i got them dead. i shot a qail last year at 20 yds. not flying but i thought it was still a good shot. anyways if you guys stumble upon some reviews of these broadheads let me know what they say! thanks!
Old 12-07-2007, 03:21 PM
B&C 180 Class

a quail at 20 yrds .im gonna start calling you robin hood.i dont think you'll have a problem shooting a big fat gobbler
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 12-07-2007, 03:30 PM
B&C 100 Class

I grew up in oregon and you could only use one weapon a year and that was it you were stuck!!! so my dad chose to go the bow route because there are not vary many people that bow hunt and we were pretty much all alone in the woods. i think we only saw 2 people in the 5 years we went. my point was that we didn't even own a rifle and i was home schooled and alot of my free time was spent walking through the wood with a bow trying to hit what ever would sit still long enough. got pretty good at shooting that way. it made me learn how to judge distances in the woods quickly and made shots from every possible angle you could imagine. only down side is that i spent about $100 a year in arrows until i got good enough to not miss.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:43 PM
Scrub Buck

I have seen a few videos on youtube of the guillotine it is pretty challenging, or so i would imagine. Really thoguh you can shoot the turkey in the body or the neck if you feel the need or you can actually do it. It really doesnt matter just preference.
Old 12-14-2007, 08:49 PM
Scrub Buck

I shot a Tom last fall with my bow while deer hunting from my stand at 31 yds, used a Muzzy. Hit him through the heart and only went about 10 ft, tipped over and broke my carbon arrow. This year best I got was a miss, because large group it was hard to keep them from seeing me draw.
Old 12-14-2007, 11:32 PM
B&C 100 Class

hey do you guys sit in a stand for this too? and also do you use coys and calls still??
Old 12-15-2007, 03:21 AM
B&C 180 Class

i use calls,lots of them just ask my wife i love to hunt turkey i got a popup but i prefer sitting against a tree with the bow ya might need the extra cover for the movement.Turkey hunting is like all other hunting ya can go for cheap or expensive.depends on the person.ya dont need all the stuff but some of it does come in handy.ya can get by with a simple push call and your deer camo and a shotgun with a full choke and a box of shells.Or you can go whole hog just look in cabelas to see how stuff there is.the best thing is you get to HUNT MORE so give it a try .remember ya dont freeze your butt off either