Deer Hunting Forums banner

Bow Hunting Turkey

8K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  flexj 
#1 ·
I have killed 4 turkeys with a gun and am going to try my luck with a bow. Have any of y'all already accomplished this feat and if so i would love to hear some tactics as far as your set up and if you used a blind and what brodheads you used. i have heard of one called the gillatine (spelling?) the you are suposed to shot the head of the turkey. i know that 20yds in a could hit it but i just wanted to know if anyone has used one before. thanx in advance!!

#3 ·
Im gonna try this spring for a bow turkey i was told ya shoot it in the body.As i get the info i'll pass it on

#4 ·
I found the broadheads i was looking for the are called the Gobbler Guillotine found them on the cabelas site. i couldn't find any reviews though. i would like to see other hunters thopught before i order them. sounds like a sweet set up a little challenging but i think i could get it down in a couple of weeks of leting them fly. i just hate to move my pins i got them dead. i shot a qail last year at 20 yds. not flying but i thought it was still a good shot. anyways if you guys stumble upon some reviews of these broadheads let me know what they say! thanks!

#5 ·
a quail at 20 yrds .im gonna start calling you robin hood.i dont think you'll have a problem shooting a big fat gobbler:thumbup:

#6 ·
I grew up in oregon and you could only use one weapon a year and that was it you were stuck!!! so my dad chose to go the bow route because there are not vary many people that bow hunt and we were pretty much all alone in the woods. i think we only saw 2 people in the 5 years we went. my point was that we didn't even own a rifle and i was home schooled and alot of my free time was spent walking through the wood with a bow trying to hit what ever would sit still long enough. got pretty good at shooting that way. it made me learn how to judge distances in the woods quickly and made shots from every possible angle you could imagine. only down side is that i spent about $100 a year in arrows until i got good enough to not miss.

#7 ·
I have seen a few videos on youtube of the guillotine it is pretty challenging, or so i would imagine. Really thoguh you can shoot the turkey in the body or the neck if you feel the need or you can actually do it. It really doesnt matter just preference.

#8 ·
I shot a Tom last fall with my bow while deer hunting from my stand at 31 yds, used a Muzzy. Hit him through the heart and only went about 10 ft, tipped over and broke my carbon arrow. This year best I got was a miss, because large group it was hard to keep them from seeing me draw.

#10 ·
i use calls,lots of them just ask my wife:ranting: i love to hunt turkey i got a popup but i prefer sitting against a tree with the bow ya might need the extra cover for the movement.Turkey hunting is like all other hunting ya can go for cheap or expensive.depends on the person.ya dont need all the stuff but some of it does come in handy.ya can get by with a simple push call and your deer camo and a shotgun with a full choke and a box of shells.Or you can go whole hog just look in cabelas to see how stuff there is.the best thing is you get to HUNT MORE so give it a try .remember ya dont freeze your butt off either:rolleyes:

#12 ·
a friend of mine tryed the Guillotines last year. We both like the idea of the head shot but you loose most of your yardage for the blades on these broad heads are about 2 inches long making a spread of 4 inches in a cross patteren. well for one my arrows are way to short to allow the blades to clear the riser of my bow to even draw. he shoots full leinght arrows and still said he could not shoot over 15 to 20 yards with them.
I use the Muzzys from wal mart and have killed many of birds with my regular set up. best shot on a bird is being able to hit kill zone and pin the wings to prevent flight. I spring and fall hunt. I use a ground blind and a few decoys sometimes. I also use the decoys during deer hunting to help keep nerves deer calm even carry a turkey call, but anyways during spring hunt if you get in the woods before day break you can use a hoot owl call or a crow call ( I prefer the hoot owl myself) to shock gobble a bird to help you locate and move in closer to get set up. or you need to set up on a field you know they are coming to. in most cases untill the tom has mated the hens that are with him, he will be very hard to pull off to come in to you. ( thats where the decoys come into play) if you are set up to where the tom can or will see your decoys he will in most cases come running to show dominates and run the other jake/tom off. (witch should have been your shot). and for the calling you will just have to find the one you can work well. I like the slate call and I use a box call if its windy out. I also have a gobbler call I added two years ago that works well in prevokeing toms anger( lol) and you will need to know the yelp call mostly for spring hunting. For fall hunting forget the whole spring hunt its a completly different hunt the birds are not breeding. this is the time of year the birds are all grouped up and sleep and feed. the two main ideas for a fall hut are stand or ground blind hunt trying to get close to their roost or in an area you know they will be traveling through. next is stalking and breaking up a flock of birds ( you look kind of silly yelling and waving you arms around but the idea is to get the birds to all go in different directions) after you break them up you will need to know how to make the Kee Kee or the assyembly call (same call just two different names) but this call will regroup the birds back together. the idea here is they regroup infront of you. I hope this helps I my not be correct on all and other people may not agree but this is the way I hunt any has worked well for me.

#14 ·
I had trouble with that spine shot from the back last year...Had him all lined up at 25 yards facing away. Pulled the trigger and the arrow deflected off the crazy backbone. It went about 200 yards away and met up with another tom. They both strutted on top of the hill until they flew onto the roost. When I finally found the arrow it had some fat on it, but no blood. I think the back shot is no good. The front is ok though. I have shot one from the front and it did the trick. The best shot I think you can get is broadside if you are on the ground...and from the front if elevated above the bird (this way you can tuck it in just above the breast and into vitals without hitting the meat).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.