Deer Hunting Forums banner

Trapping Season is Hear

4K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  timetohunt 
#1 ·
Trapping Season started for me wednesday. I was only able to set two traps opening morning. Upon checking them thursday morning I had a muskrat in one! I've been setting more each day targeting muskrat. use the carcass of the first one to set a couple mink sets. Gotta juggle bowhunting and trap checking tomorrow. I think I am going to enjoy trapping as much as I thought I would.

#3 ·
Good luck with the trapping. I eat muskrat every Christmas Eve as a family tradition from a long time ago. Yes there are other food offerings for those who don't like it. I trapped muskrats for enough hide money to buy decoys/calls ect as a youth in NW Ohio. Hope your efforts are rewarded.

#4 ·
TG, I have heard about Anise oil and its critter attracting ability. I did pick up a bottle of locally made lure which porbally has some in. Most of my sets are location based trying to catch them in there natural travels.

After a week of trapping I have caught two muskrats and one mink. The mink is a really nice looking and I am contemplating having it mounted. hes in the freezer while I debate this but most likely it will get pelted and sold. I haven't got the urge to try one of the rats. If I knew it was fresh maybe but by time i find them they have been dead for a few hours then they sit in a cooler while at work and are skinned later that night. I've been saving the carcasses for mink bait.

Some friends have had a recent beaver invasion and are losing a couple trees a night so friday night I will be setting the beaver traps. Saturday is opening day of gun season - busy weekend. I'll put some pictures on hear when I get them loaded on the computer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.