coyotes - Deer Hunting Forums
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
B&C 100 Class
 
dylanhutchinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: nc
Posts: 168
coyotes

i want to hunt coyotes fox and wolf i have a 22 rifle with scope and getting a call any suggenst where,how,when (am,pm)

GET RICH OR DIE TRYING
dylanhutchinson is offline  
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 02:36 PM
Scrub Buck
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 3
you might want something bigger than a .22 for codys.
eltorro is offline  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 07:59 PM
Scrub Buck
 
jason1965's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bennington N.H.
Posts: 12
Here's a picture of a coyote that I shot this spring:

That rifle is a Yugoslavian Model 24/47 8mm Mauser.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1821.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	1071  


Proud NRA Member.

Last edited by jason1965; 09-08-2010 at 08:04 PM.
jason1965 is offline  
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 06:33 AM
B&C 120 Class
 
timetohunt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Central, NY
Posts: 388
I would definitely carry a bigger gun if I were there were a chance of a wolf coming to me.
timetohunt is offline  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 07:28 PM
ronn
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason1965 View Post
Here's a picture of a coyote that I shot this spring:

That rifle is a Yugoslavian Model 24/47 8mm Mauser.
that small ring mauser is a great reciever to build a custom rifle off of. mauser is still producing weapons but under the mauser name its cannon and military big guns. their hunting rifles are under the name styer.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-08-2010, 06:38 PM
B&C 100 Class
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 71
For coyotes i use my savage 243 and hornady 58 grain V max its just devastating on coyotes and its a good idea to have a shot gun with usally a 12ga with a full choke for the close shots
jake112 is offline  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-05-2010, 05:06 PM
Scrub Buck
 
jason1965's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bennington N.H.
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
that small ring mauser is a great reciever to build a custom rifle off of. mauser is still producing weapons but under the mauser name its cannon and military big guns. their hunting rifles are under the name styer.
The rifle in that picture is a large ring.It was made in 1947,and modeled after the German large ring Mauser.

Proud NRA Member.
jason1965 is offline  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 04:50 PM
B&C 140 Class
 
WisconsinDeer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanhutchinson View Post
i want to hunt coyotes fox and wolf i have a 22 rifle with scope and getting a call any suggenst where,how,when (am,pm)
You are definitely NOT going to want to use a .22 for coyotes, fox or wolf. ESPECIALLY WOLF! I consider .22 mag minimum for coyotes and fox, and would only use it out to 100 yards or so. For wolf I would say a minimum of .243, and even then are you sure its even legal to shoot a wolf in your state?
WisconsinDeer is offline  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 06:01 AM
Moderator
 
gfdeputy2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 3,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by WisconsinDeer View Post
You are definitely NOT going to want to use a .22 for coyotes, fox or wolf. ESPECIALLY WOLF! I consider .22 mag minimum for coyotes and fox, and would only use it out to 100 yards or so. For wolf I would say a minimum of .243, and even then are you sure its even legal to shoot a wolf in your state?
Wolf NO but .22 long rifle is ok for Coyotes & fox Here in NH we have a night season for yotes & you can only use rimfire or shotgun I know a lot of people who use .22's & work fine but our yote's may not get as big as in Wisconsin & you usually don't get long range shots
gfdeputy2 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Deer Hunting Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome