Deer Hunting Forums banner

squirrel

4K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Mosin 
#1 ·
today is a big day for me. i shot my first squirrel. i know thats bad, most people have shot a gazilion of em before they were ten but oh well. as a matter of fact, this is my first game animal. iv shot cats and armadillos and maybe a posum but thats about it. and sujestions for squirrel cookin?

#2 ·
Nothing wrong with a first squirrel. What you shoot it with? As far as cookin them maybe some of these old hunters can help you out on that. Ive cooked rabbit but I dont think I ever tried cooking a squirrel. You can always fry it a skillet or cut it in to little stew chunks of meat and make a stew out of it. I think the stew would be the way to go.

#4 ·
Recipe...

Congrats on your first bushytail :w00t: They are great eating. Cooking them in a crock pot is very good eating. After 15 hours of cooking the meat will fall off the bones. Watch out for the bones, but most of them fall to the bottom of the pot. So will shot pellets if you used a shotgun. I usually used a .38 Special revolver but the few I did eat that were harvested with a shotgun it was not a problem. Use #4 shot. Fewer pellets to worry about and takes them clean. Keep up the good work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.