first gun for deer season - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Shotgun Hunting
Shotgun Hunting Discuss Shotgun topics

Old 10-01-2011, 09:21 PM
B&C 100 Class

I think i'll be trying my luck with a mossberg this year. i bought a mosin nagant last year however i missed a few deer due to its tendency to hit high and to the right. i still might try and get a scope on it however it looks like its gonna eat into my wallet and i do have a perfectly good mossberg with a rifled barrel. Shot range is going to be looking 100-150 yard range. any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2011, 07:27 PM
B&C 100 Class

I have a mossberg 500c with a slug barrel and reload as well as cast my own bullets. I have worked up loads where a three shot group will come close to touching each other at 100 yards. All is vertical with little off in horizontal. They pack a wallop. ( on the butt end at least!)

I personally wouldn't use it farther than 100 yards, not because of accuracy but because of dwindling energy. Others have used it farther, just not for me.

The only factory ammo I could get to shoot worth a darn was Copper Solids. I cannot even find them any more.

My advice would be to spend some time at the range finding a factory round that shoots well and try to keep your shots under 100 yards.

In the interest of full disclosure, I have never actually shot a deer with it. All of my experience has been at the range. I like to have plenty of ammo around for each gun I own so I spend a lot of time at the range and a lot of time at the bench. Plus it is fun finding these loads that you gun likes.

My .02 cents worth.

Good luck.

Last edited by Crawdaddy; 10-02-2011 at 08:16 PM.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:37 PM
betrayed

Default shotgun hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberannnicole View Post
This will be my first REAL season. I'm learning everything on my own and I need a little advice on what kind of gun I should get. I'm really leaning towards a 20 gauge. I'm only going to be able to afford one gun right now...HELP!
I use an unscoped 20 guage shotgun and my second time hunting with it i shot a nice size doe at about 50 yards
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 07:01 AM
Scrub Buck

My son has a Mossberg 500 combo. I have a Remington 870 combo, both 12ga. He likes his...I like mine. Purely personal preference, but both platforms have been around for quite some time without any major modifications that I know of. The biggest difference between the two I think is scope mounting options.