Ithaca model 37. - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Shotgun Hunting
Shotgun Hunting Discuss Shotgun topics

Old 10-23-2010, 10:33 AM
B&C 100 Class

Default Ithaca model 37.

what are your thoughts on the ithaca model 37 in 16GA? i plan on hunting with my rem 700 in .223, seeing how new york doesnt have a caliber restriction. but my brother in law offered to let me use his shotgun if i dont feel like carrying a 15LB rifle through the woods. if you guys have any experience with it, what it normally shoots well, how it handles, stuff like that. id like to hear it all. ive never hunted with a shotgun, just my rifle and a muzzle loader.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2010, 10:49 AM
Scrub Buck

The Ithaca is one of the finest shotguns in my opinion (I own three) and 16 gauge should do the job well enough.
Old 10-23-2010, 10:52 AM
B&C 100 Class

oh, i should also mention buck shot is illegal in new york for deer, so slugs only. brands? weights? stuff like that.
Old 10-23-2010, 11:54 AM
B&C 140 Class

I'd get a 12 or a 20gauge. There aren't very many options for 16gauge. If you're hunting deer with it you will want a slug barrel, either rifled or unrifled. .223 does NOT make a good deer round. It might do the job but shot placement is extremely critical.
Old 10-23-2010, 03:28 PM

I agree with the 223 not being a good deer round and we've had this discussion many times here. I have a few Ithaca's and also think they are very good shotguns. Without a rifled barrel, range will be about 70 yds max. The 16 ga slug will take down deer as will 12 & 20. I'd do my best to beg borrow a rifle in a better caliber if I could. With shotguns you have to purchase a couple different brands and see which one groups best. If the shot gun is not riffled then don't purchase sabot slugs.
Old 10-23-2010, 03:41 PM
B&C 100 Class

i hear what youre saying about the .223, but dont we(army, marines ETC.) hunt the most dangerous game on earth with it? man? also, i hunted last year with it, with great success. my father in laws brother had a .30-06 and had a few lost deer. i understand shot placement is critical, thats why i shoot it as often as possible to be sure of my equipment and be sure of my skills to get the job done with said caliber. i dont want to offend anybody, but im not going to change my mind about using my .223 to hunt deer. it can and will shoot .5 MOA. i have no issued hitting the neck if i have to, and the round i choose to hunt with has no problem with full pass throughs. i have never not had a full pass through.

but back to the ithaca. if i remember correctly, its a smooth bore. ive only seen it once or twice, and never actually shot it(another reason im more than likely going to carry my rifle) and its the long barrel. most shots ive ever taken were considerably less than 100M. one shot was at 195, one at around 180. all others, 50-80M. so the 75M max range isnt a bad thing.

although, i will have about a week to try it out. and if in that time i dont feel comfortable with it i wont use it.
Old 10-23-2010, 04:06 PM
Unregistered

Arrow metal hammer didn’t

metal hammer didn’t even reivew the last 3 songs,Those three songs are bonus tracks when buying the deluxe version. They reivewed every track on the main regular album.

Last edited by Thales; 04-18-2014 at 06:35 PM. Reason: sF6B5Aop2ol1
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 04:15 PM
B&C 100 Class

i would love to use a muzzle loader, but if i didnt say anything about it here, i gave it to my brother in law(the one with the shotgun) as a wedding gift. hed been eying it up for the almost 2 years i had it. so needless to say, hes going to be hunting with that. so i dont have the option to hunt with a smokepole this year.
Old 10-23-2010, 04:29 PM

I appreciate the services and the special people who serve, a big thank you, however, 223 is simple at best very marginal for deer hunting. I never said it wouldn't kill a deer just is not a great bullet for game. My starting bullet would be a something a bit bigger in weight like 100 gr min. Barnes bullets in 115 are getting good reports. This is one that I'll be looking at for the savage 250-3000. I would really keep the 223 for varmits and look at getting something bigger in the future for deer. Good luck on your NY trip.
Old 10-23-2010, 07:14 PM
B&C 140 Class

What bullets do you use in the .223 for deer?