First Hunt Ever - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Shotgun Hunting
Shotgun Hunting Discuss Shotgun topics

Old 08-25-2007, 06:46 PM
B&C 100 Class

Wink First Hunt Ever

I need your help fellas. In November i am going to kick off my hunting career by going deer hunting.....i am going with my newly purchased 12 gauge Mossberg. It is in wooded area by numerous farm feilds. I am hunting on a budget and i need all the help i can to have a successful hunt. which method of hunting should i use? should i bait? what type of ammo?
im confused....please help me out fellas
Old 08-26-2007, 02:00 PM
B&C 140 Class

if you are hunting in the souther portion of WI you can not use bait
Old 08-26-2007, 02:15 PM
B&C 100 Class

If possoble get in there and do some scouting.There should be gametrails going to and from the fields.Also look for any oak trees which could yeild acorns during hunting season.Look for rub lines on the sides of the trees.Deer usually like to rub on smaller trees with soft wood.Don't know if you have them in your area but holly trees are great places to find scrapes under lowhanging limbs.Know the prevailing wind and use it to your advantage.Either set up a few stands or get a pop-up or climbing stand to carry in with you.You will know the right spot when you find it.Carry a compass and know how to read it.Realize that hunting is like anything else ,the more you do it the better you will get.Sneak in and sneak out.I have taken plenty of deer sneaking in and out of the stand area.
Good Luck,
Rock
Old 08-26-2007, 02:22 PM
B&C 100 Class

thanks a lot!
Old 08-26-2007, 02:29 PM
B&C 100 Class

is there anything to keep in mind gun wise? i have a 12 gauge mossberg and should i add anything to help me shoot better? what ammo should be used.....do i need to use scent killers and every thing like that.....should i invest in some calls or something?
thanks and keep the tips coming :D.....
wisconsin shotty
Old 08-26-2007, 03:57 PM

i cant help you on what type of ammo cause ive never hunted deer with a shotgun. cover scent or scent killers is important i do think. they sell little packages of this stuff that will have soap, deo, and a scent cover spray to put on your clothing and boots and stuff. hunt when your downwind and try to cover your scent. that would be my 2 pieces of advice. scouting is also great. if there is a way your able to maybe go sit up on the edge of one of those fields and just look thru binoculars and watch how the deer act. you may be able to find out the area they come into the fields and about what times they start to feed. if you can find out where there coming in at maybe you can try to set up your stand or blind so you can ambush them coming to eat supper. good luck
Old 10-27-2007, 05:51 PM
Scrub Buck

I use the Hornady SST slugs. a little more pricy but the only drop 6 inches from 100yrds to 200yrds. I shot a really nice 8point last year at 175 yrds so iim definitly going back to those.
Old 10-28-2007, 11:42 PM
Scrub Buck

Here's a fun piece of advice:

If you shoot multiple slugs in a regular shotgun, DON'T lean your gun against anything until it cools down.

My father reduced his to being a fireplace ornament last year after doing that.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAHunter View Post
Here's a fun piece of advice:

If you shoot multiple slugs in a regular shotgun, DON'T lean your gun against anything until it cools down.

My father reduced his to being a fireplace ornament last year after doing that.
alright your going to have to fill us in with a bigger story about that. sounds like it ought to be pretty good
Old 11-21-2007, 01:06 AM
Scrub Buck

Hello, fellow Wisconsinite!
It sounds like you have a great place to hunt, and a nice shotgun. Ok, here you go.... remington sluggers are hard to beat. After 50+ deer that I have taken with them I aint wrong. Federals are cheaper but that would be my last choice. Winchesters are my 2nd choice. They all go Boooom and take deer! If you can, sit at the field with the sun at your back and the wind in your face. Sit down, be still, watch and enjoy. What ever happens or dont happen you will remember for the rest of your life. You will see more small game deer hunting than any other time. Its like they know! If or when a deer comes along....breath...breath... safety off..gun butt firmly aganst armpit...cheek firmly down... breath..... look straight down from rear to front of barrel .....breath.. point just behind the shoulder....breath...slowly pull the trigger....Boooom! It wont hurt. Watch the deer, if it drops, let it lay for at least 1 minute. if it runs,, see wich way it runs and get some help tracking it. anyway, it aint a video game, its much better. If you enjoy your self and have a good time, the deer is only iceing on the cake. Have fun... oh ya safety first...treat every hunter as if he was loaded.