First Hunt Ever - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Shotgun Hunting
Shotgun Hunting Discuss Shotgun topics

Old 08-25-2007, 07:46 PM
B&C 100 Class

Wink First Hunt Ever

I need your help fellas. In November i am going to kick off my hunting career by going deer hunting.....i am going with my newly purchased 12 gauge Mossberg. It is in wooded area by numerous farm feilds. I am hunting on a budget and i need all the help i can to have a successful hunt. which method of hunting should i use? should i bait? what type of ammo?
im confused....please help me out fellas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2007, 03:00 PM
B&C 140 Class

if you are hunting in the souther portion of WI you can not use bait
Old 08-26-2007, 03:15 PM
B&C 100 Class

If possoble get in there and do some scouting.There should be gametrails going to and from the fields.Also look for any oak trees which could yeild acorns during hunting season.Look for rub lines on the sides of the trees.Deer usually like to rub on smaller trees with soft wood.Don't know if you have them in your area but holly trees are great places to find scrapes under lowhanging limbs.Know the prevailing wind and use it to your advantage.Either set up a few stands or get a pop-up or climbing stand to carry in with you.You will know the right spot when you find it.Carry a compass and know how to read it.Realize that hunting is like anything else ,the more you do it the better you will get.Sneak in and sneak out.I have taken plenty of deer sneaking in and out of the stand area.
Good Luck,
Rock
Old 08-26-2007, 03:22 PM
B&C 100 Class

thanks a lot!
Old 08-26-2007, 03:29 PM
B&C 100 Class

is there anything to keep in mind gun wise? i have a 12 gauge mossberg and should i add anything to help me shoot better? what ammo should be used.....do i need to use scent killers and every thing like that.....should i invest in some calls or something?
thanks and keep the tips coming :D.....
wisconsin shotty
Old 08-26-2007, 04:57 PM

i cant help you on what type of ammo cause ive never hunted deer with a shotgun. cover scent or scent killers is important i do think. they sell little packages of this stuff that will have soap, deo, and a scent cover spray to put on your clothing and boots and stuff. hunt when your downwind and try to cover your scent. that would be my 2 pieces of advice. scouting is also great. if there is a way your able to maybe go sit up on the edge of one of those fields and just look thru binoculars and watch how the deer act. you may be able to find out the area they come into the fields and about what times they start to feed. if you can find out where there coming in at maybe you can try to set up your stand or blind so you can ambush them coming to eat supper. good luck
Old 08-28-2007, 12:19 PM
B&C 100 Class

thank you... so maybe invest in it....my scouting is pretty much done and i already cleared shooting lanes with my dad. i think that the deer will be around a lot.........
im getting excited and nervous at the same time for the season!
Old 08-29-2007, 11:42 PM
B&C 180 Class

try some slugs.do you have the rifled slug barel?or the smoth bore.buy a couple boxes.dont go crazy.breneke ,lightfield,rem,winchester.all make a quality slug .everygun shoots differently even the same brand gun.get the ammo go to the range get it to hit the paper at 25 yrds.dont mater where just hit the paper.then you can adust your windage(side to side) and elevation(up down)once your hitting the center of the paper move out to 50 do the same thing.you should not have to go past 100 yrds .actually i would set it for 75 if the deer is further than 75 you can always hold high.Go get out to the range now and often you should have been doing this already.you owe it to the deer to shoot cleanly and accuratetly so you kill it quick.Good luck let me know how you make out
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 08-30-2007, 12:12 AM

yes i would invest in covering my scent. alot of hunters may not agree with that. but for me personally when i started concentrating on covering my scent i very rarely get busted anymore. last year the only deer that caught me was prob at least 4 and half years old and was definitly a big old buck. looked like a cow. he was 40 yds away and directly upwind from me so thats the only reason i got caught. joel also made a good point with practicing shooting alot. i understand you being nervous. even us hunters that have been doing this for awhile still get a nervous rush every time we see deer. thats what makes it so fun. dont be surprised if you get "buckfever" when you see your first few deer. your knees will be shaking and you will feel like your going crazy trying to be still and not spook the deer. we have all done it. after i shot my first deer with a bow i shook for what seemed like 20 mins. and i was about 25 yrs old at the time. its a rush thats why there is a ton of hunters out there doing this every year. man i love hunting!!!!
Old 08-31-2007, 01:12 AM
B&C 180 Class

the fact that you are out there in the woods,deer no deer ,kill no kill dont matter.to me just being out there is the thrill.I had to do it myself no dad no mom no internet friends.Remember after you pull the trigger get ready to work.I wish you nothing but the best.........go get em
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky