First Hunt Ever - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Shotgun Hunting
Shotgun Hunting Discuss Shotgun topics

Old 08-31-2007, 08:27 AM
B&C 100 Class

thanks a lot fellas....and by the way joel on the subject of slugs, i have a smoothbore but i was thinking because i use sabot slugs i should get a rifled barrel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2007, 09:35 AM
B&C 100 Class

i under stand that some slugs are made for both barrels....coul you explain which one like those are, and what is the best for a smoothbore?
Old 09-12-2007, 11:09 PM
B&C 180 Class

lichfield hybrid slugs.give em a try
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 09-13-2007, 07:25 AM

I totally agree with all the advice you've been given, I'd like to add one thing about the nervousness subject. EVERYONE gets nervous especially at shooting time BUT I PROMISE you, you're going to love that feeling of PRIDE when you harvest your first Deer...
Just imagine you come dragging a deer behind ya and maybe your Dad see's you first, he comes running to greet you and he's smiling bigger then ever that's not just a happy smile son, that's a Proud Smile too, then you see your Mom and she's wearing a bigger smile than your Dad had, it's not just a happy smile that's a proud smile as well,, your brothers, sisters, friends, neighbors, all with that same smile, people you don't even know are going to congratulate you and even they will have that same smile.
Now please REMEMBER,,, we LOVE seeing pics and I can't wait to see yours.

Good luck

Old 10-09-2007, 11:29 AM
B&C 100 Class

Wink

Hi Friend,

If you are going to hunt with a shotgun, the best advice I can give you is know your guns limitations, and don't ever shoot at anything that you aren't sure that you can hit where you aim.

Test you gun by target practicing with it at different ranges. Each shotgun shoots differently. I can't stress this enough.

A 12 guage will bring down a grizzly with slugs, but they lose there shocking power the futher out the slug travels.

My advice is only shoot slugs no buckshot, and only shoot at an animal that is 50 yards or closer.

If you follow these rules you will bring home the venison.

AJHunter

Ps. Check out my blog below.

Whitetail Hunters Challenge

Last edited by AJHunter; 10-09-2007 at 11:32 AM.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:34 AM
B&C 100 Class

Talking

If you see a Buck and get the feeling that you want to count the points, remember, get him first, then you can count the points anytime that you want.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:45 AM
B&C 100 Class

Slugs that are made for a smooth bore shotgun, has the rifling made on the slug. Check out this page on google.
rifled slug - Google Image Search
Old 10-11-2007, 05:14 PM
B&C 100 Class

yea if you have a smooth bore barrel dont shoot sabots, you might as well use a ball and musket. Sabot slugs are made specificaly for rifled barrels.. The slugs with the rifling made on the slug are also known as foster style slugs, you do want to use those with a smooth bore, but not with rifled bc it will cause leading and throw ur aim off. So smooth bore use foster style and rifled use sabots. Rifled and sabots have much better acuracy and ballistics. As far as brand, shoot around and see what ur gun likes.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:16 PM
B&C 100 Class

foster style slugs will actually work against the rifling in the barrel, which is why it causes the leading. Also i forgot to mention, dont shoot slugs out of ur smooth bore with a full choke. It will be fine, but using a more open choke is a bit better, the slug will basically slam into the full choke and slow it down, probly not too noticable though.
Old 10-27-2007, 05:51 PM
Scrub Buck

I use the Hornady SST slugs. a little more pricy but the only drop 6 inches from 100yrds to 200yrds. I shot a really nice 8point last year at 175 yrds so iim definitly going back to those.