Remington 870 Express - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Shotgun Hunting
Shotgun Hunting Discuss Shotgun topics

Old 08-19-2010, 02:02 AM
B&C 100 Class

Default Remington 870 Express

Hey guys, I'm looking to get an 870 Express in the relatively near future. I've been doing some looking around on the net at known issues and the only one I really have found is the issue of shells being stuck in the chamber after firing. Most have said it was because they were using cheaper shells (Wally-World stuff) and the brass was expanding into the machining grooves of the chamber. They typically suggest honing out the chamber with some steel wool wrapped around a bore brush, using gun oil as a lubricant. Attached to a drill, they claim it works quite well.

So, to get to the point, has anyone bought an 870 recently and had this issue? Would an issue that could be solved this quickly turn you away from a product without second thought?

I would like to use the shotgun for a variety of things such as duck, goose, small game, dove. Any input or opinions would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2010, 07:06 AM

I have the Rem. 870 Express 12ga., I've never had any issues with mine and I know of a lot of other people who own the Rem.870 express also,
none of them have ever had any problems either.
the Rem. 870 express has a great reputation, I would say it's a great choice. Good Luck

Old 08-19-2010, 07:12 AM
B&C 160 Class

Default no worries

please dont believe everything in them forums and for the life of me dont take a drill with a chamber brush to anew 870.what you read is complete nonsense.millions of 870s have been sold and furthermore it being a pump dam near impossible to jam.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:19 AM
B&C 100 Class

Spiker, while you're right that alot of stuff shouldn't be taken at face value on the net, I've read from no less than a dozen websites that when certain shells are fired from this shotgun, the brass expands into the grooves of the chamber, thus making it difficult to pull back the slide to eject the spent shell. I also said in no way that I was going to be doing any honing in the chamber. That's something that I know would be better left for a gunsmith.

I've used an older 870 before and I loved it. The only reason it malfunctioned was because my father didn't clean it accordingly before I used it for the first time. I just wanted to know if anyone has experienced this issue with the newer models of 870's.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:45 AM
B&C 100 Class

I didn't want to post this until I was replied to but I emailed Remington about this issue and already received a response.

My first email:

To Whom it My Concern,

I have been considering making a purchase of a Remington 870 Express but after doing some online research, I am puzzled by the claims of some customers. The users claim that when they shoot a variety of ammo from these shotguns, they fail to eject due to the brass expanding into the machining grooves of the chamber. I was hoping you could shed some light on this issue before I decide to spend the money on one of your products. I look forward to your response.

His response:

Chris,

What happened here is that we have identified an issue that one of the chamber reamers used to cut the chambers was dulled prematurely and cut some chambers with chatter at the rim if the chamber. This burr was causing some shells to stick when fired. This issue was identified and corrected a couple of months ago and we are correcting the issue with the owners who are having the problems on a case by case basis. The fix is a very simple polishing, under warranty of course, by one of our warranty repair centers. The reamer issue has been identified and resolved however so new production guns going out now will not have this issue, but there may be some guns out there that are older and may have this issue, it didn't happen with ever gun produced in the timeframe, but should you run into an issue with it on a gun purchased we are more than happy to correct the issue for you right away

My response:

Daniel,

First of all, I thank you for your response. I appreciate it. As far as the issue with the chamber, that makes me feel more comfortable about the idea of purchasing one of these firearms. If you don't mind, I will be saving our correspondence for the future in case I do have an issue with one of these shotguns. It's not that I don't take your word, I've just heard that some people had this issue and had difficulties getting it covered under warranty. Please, don't feel insulted. I just want to make sure all my bases are covered in such an instance. Again, I appreciate your response to the matter and will hopefully be purchasing an 870 in the near future!

Chris

His final response:

no problem,

in fact, save the e-mail, and if you do need any assistance, just give me a shout personally. I'll be happy to take care of it myself

So, it my be kind of pointless for me to post this but you never know. Hopefully, if someone someday faces the same situation, they can do a search and see there is some light at the end of the tunnel. After I make the purchase and throw some rounds through it, I will post any issues with the chamber and if they honored it under warranty like they claimed they will.

Last edited by titus2423; 08-19-2010 at 09:47 AM.
Old 08-19-2010, 11:54 AM
B&C 140 Class

About 5 years ago I bought an 870 express 20 gauge combo with the bird barrel and rifled slug barrel for like $475 out the door. I've taken quite a few deer with the slug barrel and rabbits with the bird barrel, even a couple turkeys. The action might be a tad rough out of the box but it smooths up real quick. Usually when people say that shells stick in the chamber there is a burr. I didn't have that problem but I've read about it, it would be an easy fix so it doesn't really bother me. It's a great shotgun.
Old 08-19-2010, 12:18 PM
B&C 100 Class

Thanks Wisconsin. Most of the stuff I read was actually from a couple of years ago, and that's why I decided to email Remington themselves. I couldn't find anything about the issue being remedied. I'm happy with the response I received, and it doesn't exactly sound like he was just trying to tell me what I wanted to hear. He could have done that in less words.
Old 08-19-2010, 12:24 PM
B&C 100 Class

I have three 870's and love them I wont buy a different kind of pump shotgun although the new rem. pump looks nice
Old 08-19-2010, 12:34 PM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaux View Post
I have three 870's and love them I wont buy a different kind of pump shotgun although the new rem. pump looks nice
If you're talking about the 887 I looked at it...The action is absolutely TERRIBLE....I've never felt a rougher action in my life, all of them were the same way.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:28 PM
ronn

Exclamation Yeah I bet these bit

Yeah I bet these bitches think they are real cool until they try and get a real job and their empolyers find these pics and decide not to hire them. It's not legal quite yet people. Keep it under wraps unless you have a job that won't interfere with your love for the buddha. Taking pictures of yourself smoking weed is probably one of the dumbest things you can do. I guess it doesn't even matter, because half these bitches look fucking trashy and will probably never get a good job. Most look like they are either dying of aids or are 12 years old. If that's what you're into .

Last edited by David; 04-19-2014 at 03:10 PM. Reason: uhbTZDDXnkhoIwkKre
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote