Biggest Buckshot - Page 3 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Shotgun Hunting
Shotgun Hunting Discuss Shotgun topics

Old 10-12-2007, 08:40 AM
B&C 100 Class

You can use buckshot in Maine too. I am not a fan of buckshot, I think it encourages a hunter to be careless in his aiming. A lot of deer end up wounded and not ever found. A lot of buckshot entry wounds bleed very little, which makes tracking very difficult, and sometimes impossible.

I have also had my experiences with both single o and double oo. If I use a shotgun then it is slugs only.

My dad once told me, that him and his brother, and one other person slammed a buck so many times with buckshot before he finally succumed, that the deer wasn't even worth bringing home, because it was peppered with buckshot.

AJHunter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2007, 10:51 AM
B&C 100 Class

yea i agree aj i use slugs as well. If you butcher your own deer you sometimes will find buckshot inside them. Lol funny story.
Old 10-13-2007, 07:10 AM
Banned

Default There is buckshot and there is BUCKSHOT!

There is a world of difference between the little .33 caliber, 54 grain, 00 buckshot and the Dixie Tri-Ball .60 caliber, 315 grain BUCKSHOT!

You will get complete penetration on any reasonable shot taken on whitetail deer with Tri-Ball loads. Three through and through .60 caliber holes let in a lot of air and let out a lot of blood.

Don't confuse the Dixie Tri-Ball with those little 00 buck loads!
Old 10-13-2007, 09:03 AM
B&C 100 Class

You could be right RMc, but I still prefer the biggest buckshot of them all, called a slug. LOL

The slug will bring down any Buck Shot, Get It. LOL

AJHunter

Old 10-21-2007, 08:24 AM
Banned

Although Dixie calls The Tri-Ball loads, 3" and 3 1/2", buckshot......there is no real comparison in striking power compared to regular buckshot!
There are many hunting situations where a Multi-Ball load, like the Tri-Ball loads, is better that a single ball load, slug or otherwise.
The problem arises where a buckshot load is compared with the multi-ball Tri-Ball loads. Each .600" ball , of the three ball load, has the striking power of some rifles in use now.
Like all new products, there is a great deal of un-founded speculation put out by those who have not even tested the product!.....epsecially on game.
By calling a multi-ball load, like the Tri-Ball loads, buckshot.....It drags along the hunters impression of the less powerful regular buckshot.
Dixie called the Tri-Ball loads buckshot in order to reach the much overlooked buckshot market.
Contrary to what many think.....buckshot, used properly, remains a very large hunting group....most in the denser woodland areas of the Southern tier of States.
It is sad indeed that many have speculative opinions about a product they have never used!
The ammo making game is an odd market indeed. The maker seldon receives word of the successful use of their products......it's just supposed to work! The real rule of the thumb is re-orders! That's how Ole" Dixie knows that that we have a good product......we have trouble keeping up with re-orders!
Regards, James
Old 10-25-2007, 09:26 AM
B&C 180 Class

we get it you sell dixie tri ball loads please move on
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 10-25-2007, 10:36 AM
B&C 100 Class

i tried these tri ball things and wasnt pleased. I took a 50 yard shot at a doe and almost lost it. one ball missed the deer, one was just under the skin on the shoulder blade, and the other one lucky enough hit the lung and heart. I myself dont like them or buck shot in general. Just me though. Its seems like too big of a chance to injure the deer.
Old 10-27-2007, 09:54 PM
Banned

Default Tell us more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerking View Post
i tried these tri ball things and wasnt pleased. I took a 50 yard shot at a doe and almost lost it. one ball missed the deer, one was just under the skin on the shoulder blade, and the other one lucky enough hit the lung and heart. I myself dont like them or buck shot in general. Just me though. Its seems like too big of a chance to injure the deer.
Please tell us the rest of the story. What gauge shotgun were you using?
What brand of ammo were you using? What was the size or diameter of the buckshot? Had you patterned the ammo at that distance?

I highly doubt it was Dixie Tri-Ball. The Tri-Ball from Dixie Slugs is legally buckshot but the comparison ends there. Those 315 hard cast .60 caliber move out at 1050 to 1150 fps depending on the length (3" or 3.5"). These strike just as hard as the .44 Magnum at the range you describe and cut a larger hole.

So like Paul Harvey, tell us the "...rest of the story."

RMc
Old 10-27-2007, 10:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJHunter View Post
You could be right RMc, but I still prefer the biggest buckshot of them all, called a slug. LOL

The slug will bring down any Buck Shot, Get It. LOL

AJHunter

I understand you folks up in Maine occasionally shoot a few moose each year. I have personally seen the Dixie Terminator 12 gauge round penetrate just as deep in a test medium as a .416 Rigby factory round (Federal brand) loaded with 400 grain Nosler Partition bullets. The Dixie round also blew a bigger hole! The Terminator amounts to a .73 caliber rifle with a 730 grain hard cast, heat treated bullet at 1200 fps. The Terminator was designed from the ground up as modern day version of the late 19th century ammo used in British 12 bore rifles.

RMc.
Old 10-27-2007, 10:35 PM
B&C 100 Class

I was using a mossberg 500 12ga 3in shell. Not sure what brand but i know it wasnt the average buckshot. My uncle gave it to me to try so i never shot it prior to that day.