Looking for good sabot slugs - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Shotgun Hunting
Shotgun Hunting Discuss Shotgun topics

Old 11-12-2009, 09:58 AM
Scrub Buck

Default Looking for good sabot slugs

I've shot two boxes of buckhammers out of my fully rifled scoped 870 from 75 yds and can't get good groups. I think it might be some shooter error but the groups are over 10 inches and others have shot my gun with somewhat same results. I bought two boxes of Hornaday sst today and am going to try to see if i can get better results with these. If you have any other suggestions i would be happy to take them thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2009, 04:23 PM
B&C 140 Class

The buckhammers are a rifled slug which isnt what you want to use in a fully rifled barrel. Look for sabot slugs for it like the Hornady's you bought. They shoot very accurately out of mine. I have taken a lot of deer with the Winchester Super X sabots as well.
Old 11-12-2009, 11:40 PM
Scrub Buck

I think you are thinking about the sluggers, they are rifled. Buckhammers are designed to be shot out a rifled barrel or rilfed choke tube. The slugger ont he other hand is a rifled slug.
Old 11-13-2009, 05:42 PM
Scrub Buck

Try the brenekke 3" magnums, They seem to group really good for me.
Old 11-13-2009, 06:44 PM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianahunter08 View Post
I think you are thinking about the sluggers, they are rifled. Buckhammers are designed to be shot out a rifled barrel or rilfed choke tube. The slugger ont he other hand is a rifled slug.
You're right. The sluggers are rifled and I figured the buckhammers were rifled to but apparently not. Remingtons website doesn't say they are sabot slugs though, but they are designed for a rifled barrel/rifled choke tube.
Old 11-26-2009, 10:09 PM
Scrub Buck

I had the same issue with my Rem 1187 20ga. It did not like remingtom ammo go figure. I tried several diffrent brands and found it liked the Hornady SST the best. It was expensive to figure out what it liked but it was worth every penny when I pulled the trigger on a nice 8 pt buck and he went down less than 75 yards from where he was hit. If you don't have confidence in your equipment or your ability to preform with it, don't use it. Master your equipment and you will minimize the heartache of misses of bad hits.

Jeff Sanborn
Old 11-27-2009, 07:45 AM
B&C 100 Class

Default right ammo

in my experience and through conversations with mossberg, shooting a rifled slug through a rifled barrel isn't what you want to do. the lead in the slug is so soft it pushes through the barrel filling the groves with lead. if you are shooting a fully rifled barrel, for the best accuracy and consistency, you must shoot sabots. i used winchester gold tips in 2 3/4" and use a mossberg 835 with a fully rifled barrel and a bushnell scope and would not hesitate on a 125 yd shot with a good rest. it took me a while to find the ammo that seems to "fit" my gun, different brands, grains, etc. good luck, it can be frustrating but once you find the combo you'll be good to go!
Old 12-06-2009, 06:18 PM
Scrub Buck

Try Lightfields in 2 3/4. They fly well out of my 1187 and have excellent knockdown power to 125 yards and beyond.
Old 12-06-2009, 06:19 PM
Scrub Buck

Make sure you discard any shot that comes out of a clean barrel too. If your barrel is clean, shoot at something off target first, then look for patterning.
Old 12-14-2009, 04:58 PM
B&C 140 Class

Hey indy08,
My first problem was the mounts or the bases always worked loose so maybe just start there and use a little locktite on your screws. As for sabots the sst by hornady and the winchester plat tips seemed to work well. but the real difference was when i decided to get real serious and get a slug gun with an adjustable trigger and bought a savage 210 bolt for 125 bucks and worked it up from there. Hunts seem so much easier now. Lots of luck but be safe!