Shotgun Deer - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Shotgun Hunting
Shotgun Hunting Discuss Shotgun topics

Old 07-24-2007, 11:38 PM
B&C 100 Class

did you guys ever see barrel extentions for duck hunting which basically makes the barrel six feet long
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2007, 11:40 AM

not I. i would hate to try to aim a 6 foot barrell in a hurry though
Old 07-25-2007, 08:55 PM
B&C 100 Class

if i turned around i would probably hit my dad in the head with it
Old 07-28-2007, 12:55 PM
B&C 100 Class

is it wise to start off for my first shotgun as a 12 gauge mossberg
Old 07-28-2007, 05:15 PM
B&C 180 Class

yup great gun i got one get it with both barrells one for slugs one for birds
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 09-14-2007, 01:35 PM
Banned

Excellent Thread Indeed! Sometimes, on the world wide web, we forget that there are different regions having different traditions and different hunting conditions. One can ask the same questions to hunters in shot-gun-only states, western states, and the southern tier of states....and all answers will be based on the region.
So....when shotguning for deer comes up....you will get a broad set of answers.
I will address deer hunting with shotguns in the southern tier of states. Shotguns, buckshot, and dog hunting has a long tradition in that area. Not that rifles were not allowed, but rather based on thicker woodland cover. In the Southern hammocks, swamps, and coastal islands....a shot over 50 yards is rare and most are much closer.
There has been and is....a very large number of buckshot hunters you seldom hear about! Not much has been done for them at the ammo factories and the syndicated rag writers are not concerned. The experienced buckshot hunter knows his range limitations!
Dixie Tri-Ball was mentioned and it is a fact that the load is the most powerful buckshot made......fact! It spans the use of buckshot and slugs in all-gun-states. It has been proved very effective on real wild hogs!
Now....We are seeing another change happening in this Southern tier......shotgun hunters buying rifled barrels for their favorite shotgun! A shotgun with a rifled barrel becomes a large bore rifle on a shotgun frame and can be the finest brush gun going! Hunters in this area want a switch barrel gun....not a dedicated slug gun.
I think we should think more about regoinal attitudes when we discuss shotgunning deer. Just because it may not be used in your area, whatever the reason, it is a viable method with the correct equipment!
Regards, James
Old 09-16-2007, 01:16 PM
B&C 180 Class

dixie slugs see the thread slugs and buckshot.You are correct about different areas and different tastes.
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 09-30-2007, 04:49 PM
B&C 100 Class

Arrow Shotgun Deer

In the southern coastal plains of NC where the swamps are many and the thick woods are all, buckshot have been used for many years. With autoloaders and pumps some of the load combinations are 4 buckshot what ever size, I prefer 00's if the gun patterns those the best, but the last shell being a slug. Reason being, running those big bucks with dogs, you probably get a shot in about a 2' opening and the deer running sometimes wide open. If the buckshot don't get him and you get an opening at 75 yds. the slug is there for backup.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:34 AM
B&C 100 Class

i just checked the radar for saturday/sundays youth gun hun and i set up my hunting blind and some scent wicks in wind direction.....what time do you reckon i go in my blind those mornings?

thanks
Old 10-01-2007, 08:57 PM
B&C 180 Class

one hour before sunrise gives the woods time to settle down from you walking in and getting set up.this way your ready the minute legal shooting time starts.you'll get a chance at the deer sneaking back into their beds and any latecomers to the woods will bump deer for ya