slug gun - Page 4 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Shotgun Hunting
Shotgun Hunting Discuss Shotgun topics

Old 01-24-2009, 10:35 AM
B&C 140 Class

All of the above is right on the mark. I have been hunting a very long time and I too will take long shots. This being said I practice a great deal to make sure my shots always hit their mark. Personally I keep my 870 to 150 yards or less. Can I make shots longer yes I can but you are really pushing the limits of the weapon. If I may make a suggestion if you want to be able to take shots at longer ranges why not use one of today's modern muzzle loaders instead? They are far more accurate and can be used even during gun season. Being that they are a single shot they force the shooter to make better judgements afield. They can make ethical shots at longer ranges up to 250 yards with practice. I myself now only use my muzzle loaders during gun season for just this reason. It boils down to using the right tool for the right job. Pushing the envelope in anything only leads to higher risk and questionable ethics. In this day and age of our hunting heritage being under constant attack we as hunters need to take a step back and think of the possibility of a stray bullet or the needless wounding of an animal. Bottom line is it just does not make us look good in the public eye. The public as I have seen here in Maryland does not look at the individual but the group as a whole.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2009, 08:07 PM

wmi, what slugs are you using in your 870, and are they 3" or 3-1/2"?? Thanks HM
Old 01-25-2009, 05:35 AM
B&C 140 Class

3" and the other thing that I would recomend is the Limb Saver Recoil Pad. Not the slip on but the screw on. The groups at 100 yards from a bench are under 1 1/2" believe it or not. I shoot the Remingtons like Bruce does. They shot so well I never bothered with any others much. If it ain't broke don't fix it thing.
Old 01-25-2009, 05:39 AM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunting Man View Post
wmi, what slugs are you using in your 870, and are they 3" or 3-1/2"?? Thanks HM
3 1/2" OUCH!!!!!! I'm a hunter but not into whips and chains. LOL
Old 01-25-2009, 06:42 AM

These are the ones I use in 3", they aren't available in 3-1/2"
Sabot Slugs

Last edited by BruceBruce1959; 05-01-2010 at 06:09 AM.
Old 01-26-2009, 12:15 AM
B&C 100 Class

I have to say that I agree with wmi. If these punks were not hunters (daycare incident), they should not even look at changing the hunting regulations. One of the major problems is that the parents, schools and society do very little to nothing with the youth as far as discipline and consequences until AFTER they have have done a very stupid act that did or could have seriously injured or killed a person. Even then, they place some of the blame on the current rules and regulations and not 100% of the responsibility on those who did the stupid act. Most kids today have very little responsibility and are not taught how to make correct decisions.

I grew up on a farm. Dad always taught us safety first, last and always and to think things through (this was carried over to hunting, firearms, driving, basically everything). When dad knew we could be trusted and after we had demonstrated good judgements, we were allowed to work by ourselves. I think I was about 11 or 12 years old when I was able to drive the tractor to the field by myself and work the field without supervision. I might be about 7 miles from home, and these were narrow country roads with a 4WD tractor and a 27 foot to 50 foot implement. Sometimes mom would drive by to make sure everything was okay. Neither my brother nor I had a close call.

I have hunted deer with rifles and slug guns (fully rifled and smooth bore). For a fully rifled slug gun I prefer to stay below 125 yards but will go out to 150 yards if the weather conditions and the shot opportunity are right. A slug is really prone to wind drift.

On the PETA issue, did you hear that they want ice cream to be made from human milk and not milk from a cow? PETA says that milking a cow is painful to the cow, we are depriving the calf of it's mothers milk and the cows are constantly pregnant so they will continue producing milk. Yep, PETA has all of those "facts" totally wrong too.

Amazing how PETA is concerned about cows, but they are not concerned about all the babies that are aborted each year (and the mothers who had the abortion). Statistics have shown that almost all of the mothers who had an abortion will have a mental problem later in life as a result.
Old 02-05-2009, 06:25 PM
B&C 100 Class

good points. and, i think i will be getting a mossberg 535 ats combo, instead. it seems to make more sense to me.
Old 04-30-2010, 02:33 PM
B&C 100 Class

I ended up getting the 870 super mag combo. Im 15 and shoot 3,5'' win. supreme turkey loads. All you "vets" who cringe at 3.5''s either have a STEEL recoil pad, shoot 5 lb. guns, or are very tender.