slug gun - Page 3 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Shotgun Hunting
Shotgun Hunting Discuss Shotgun topics

Old 01-21-2009, 09:42 PM
ronn

yes! then bows, then knives, then pointy sticks, then anything sharper than a bowl of pudding.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2009, 06:29 AM

I'm siding with wmi and the hunters too and believe when it comes to issues that put my hunting privilege's at risk I have ZERO tolerance.. BUT I'm not going to promote hunting at a daycare, A daycre area is and always should be a safety zone.
I never said I was for the Ban all I said was (Paul Peditto, director of the DNR's Wildlife and Heritage Service.) is encouraging a ban.

What I mill say is the Daycare area needs to be addressed and I AGREE to that but if the result is going to affect other areas that's where I draw the line.

Old 01-22-2009, 03:20 PM
B&C 180 Class

Default more on maryland

https://www.ussportsmen.org//Page.as...1&erid=2087347
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 01-22-2009, 04:55 PM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceBruce1959 View Post
I'm siding with wmi and the hunters too and believe when it comes to issues that put my hunting privilege's at risk I have ZERO tolerance.. BUT I'm not going to promote hunting at a daycare, A daycre area is and always should be a safety zone.
I never said I was for the Ban all I said was (Paul Peditto, director of the DNR's Wildlife and Heritage Service.) is encouraging a ban.

What I mill say is the Daycare area needs to be addressed and I AGREE to that but if the result is going to affect other areas that's where I draw the line.
Peditto is against it. I sat beside him until 2am. He made it clear to all that DNR makes the laws for hunters and is the only one who can enforce them. He was also VERY clear DNR will NOT enforce these changes if passed. He also stated that this knee jerk response is unjustified. Hundreds showed and the split was about 85% against, 15% for. Boy we (Hunters)are in for a long road, those PETA people are wacked. Crying, screaming, and full of dramatics. Don't get me started on their the lies. I for one was diappointed in my fellow hunters. I felt there should have been thousands. I also feel angry that they could not get up off their lazy butts to be there defending our sport. I'm telling you all the threat is REAL and you better wake up. Don't know the out come but I promise I will be there every step of the way till it is gone. I AM A HUNTER AND PROUD OF IT.
Old 01-23-2009, 08:02 AM

the DNR does not make the laws. Good luck to you wmi, I hope the outcome is positive for the hunters.

What PaulPeditto said:

Last edited by BruceBruce1959; 01-23-2009 at 08:06 AM.
Old 01-23-2009, 04:42 PM
B&C 100 Class

well, i see what you guys are saying, about the range of slugs and there use: CLOSE RANGE, but in my opinion, if a shooter's gun can print lethal patterns at --- yds and he/she can hit that range then it is within range of his/her AND equipments acurate range and is ethical.FOR EXAMPLE: when i first started bowhunting i was fine with a draw of 43 lbs and a max range of 20 yards,and my dad thought i was crazy for wanting to even attempt any farther, now im shooting 50-ish and could put arrows in a target the size of a slate call all day long at 40 yards. and as for the hunting acidents, yes there will be acidents but if people just used common sense there would be far less.BUT, as far as 100+ yds with a slug goes,i wouldent and wont atempt the unless i and my gun will do it (or if it is windy) but were i usually hunt i can only get a clear shot to 50 MABEY 75 yards. the extended rang shots would be for EXTREAM worst case scenarios(if i can pull it off). but dont get me wrong, i see were you are coming from, if i were planning 250+ on a regular basis i would buy a rifle. I guess only testing will tell. and as always, BE SAFE OUT THERE;)
Old 01-24-2009, 08:01 AM

Venison~lover, you're absolutely right. IF you are able to put 200 yard shots in the vitals at the shooting range then
there's no reason why you should have to limit your abilities in your hunting woods. As long as you're within the law
and aware of your surroundings and are able to release a good safe shot.

This discussion wasn't directed at you and I hope you didn't think it was.
wmi has an active situation in his state right now that makes this a touchy subject for him right
now and I'm sure you understand that as well.

When you go to the Range I'd be interested in hearing how well you're shooting
and at what distances you're shooting at with slugs.

Good Luck to you.

Old 01-24-2009, 09:23 AM

I hope to add to the slug gun topic when I get this gun package put together and see what it will do. I have access to long ranges for sight-ins. Opinions in the forums are simply that. Some are based on actual experience and others on plublished articles. Hopefully the blend of both contributes to good advise and information for those seeking it. I think here we do a pretty good job on both fronts. With hunting season over now I have time to get my slug gun project completed. Well see what the 870 can do!
Old 01-24-2009, 10:04 AM
ronn

yeah you know what they say about opinions and everyone having one. There is a lot to consider when pushing the absolute limits of anything. Rifle, bow, shotgun, bullet weight high or low for any caliber, car, people and so on. Whats the wind drift of a BIG SLOW pumpkin ball at 200,300 yards? Whats the energy and is it enough? the difference between super long shots with a bow and super long shots with a gun is in the way they kill. the bow by cutting and bleeding to death and the gun by shock waves to destroy cells. so with a bow you need enough to cut arteries and the gun enough energy to wreck enough cells to get the job done. Just cause someone can hit a deer at super long range doesn't mean there is enough energy left to do the job cleanly and quickly. just my opinion, stinking or not.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 10:11 AM

you and I agree ronn! Extreem shooting should be something for the experienced not for the novise. The experienced one would know the limits and not exceed them for any reason. Thats just my opinion.