feelin sorry for the old man - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Shotgun Hunting
Shotgun Hunting Discuss Shotgun topics

Old 11-23-2008, 01:41 PM
Scrub Buck

Red face feelin sorry for the old man

My Dad is in his mid sixtys and is a avid shotgun deer hunter in Illinois, this sommer his diabetes left him blind in his right eye and being right handed this creates a problem aiming the gun, i have a single shot 12ga
new england arms w/rifledl barrell and weaver type scope mounts with a red dot scope, and wondering if any one know how i might remount the scope about 3" to the left and if so could this be sighted in so he could shoot it ?

singleshot12
tryin to fix the old man up in illinois
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2008, 04:21 PM
B&C 160 Class

He just needs to retrain himself. Should not be that hard to do at this point. Many have made this change over to opposite hand shooting. Ronn teaches this in his turkey hunting seminars.
Old 11-23-2008, 04:50 PM
ronn

Exclamation Oleg,As previous poe

Oleg,As previous poersts indicated it only has sense if bird and deer season overlap AND game regulations do not prohibit rifles while hinting for birds and vice versa. Historically, combination firearms (drillings) originated in Germany were hunts are most often collective and hunters can shoot anything chased out of forest. So, birdshot for pheasants, buckshot for deer (fox) and rifle for hog.In Russia, where hunters go into forest for week(s) and seasons overlaps combinations also has sense.In US, utility of combination firearm is highly doubtful, at least for me. I may get one some day, as a survival firearm, but that about it. If you think about protection while hunting, get medium sized Glock. I saw nice study on talks.guns.ru 9X19 is pretty much OK for defense from Russian brown bears. It should be more than adequate here against black bears and coyotes. I would carry G19 with 9 mm NATO, because it waterproof +P FMJ. And you need penetration against wildlife. Besides pistol will give you 15 rounds vs. 1 in combination rifle.

Last edited by Aasha; Yesterday at 03:37 AM. Reason: tLf5CIdYG
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 07:20 PM

Good advice. Very sorry about your dads situation but with the advice given he should be in it again.
Old 11-24-2008, 02:22 AM
B&C 120 Class

Set up multiple large targets side by side and figure out where his other eye is really looking and then adjust accordingly. I had a bud that lost his right eye due to an accident and it took a while and a sore shoulder but with patience and encouragement it can be done.
Old 11-24-2008, 05:59 AM

Hey I hope your dad is able to give it a go on continued hunting. I agree with the other posts, he should be able to re-train himself on the leftside shooting. It may take awhile and some comments, but with a scope he should make a decent transformation. The old 30-30s used to mount side scopes on them so why not a shotgun?

Last edited by Hunting Man; 11-24-2008 at 06:00 AM. Reason: add
Old 11-24-2008, 03:26 PM
B&C 100 Class

learning to shoot left handed shouldnt be to bad i used to do it before i knew my right eye was the dominant one and i still from time to time shoot lefty to give me a sort of challenge.

work to live
live to hunt...
Old 11-30-2008, 06:46 PM
B&C 100 Class

If your dad was right eye dominant, he now is left eye dominant, tell him to shoot with both eyes open and point his index finger at the intended target. With some practice, he will be shooting as good as ever. We teach this method in Hunter Safety Education, called point and shoot. Young people catch on quick, but older people take a while longer, but will make it.
Old 11-30-2008, 06:59 PM
ronn

with a slug at deer?? dka
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 08:42 PM
Scrub Buck

i agree with shooting week side also, i am in the army and it begining to be a bigger part of our training. but a scope will be very difficult to adjust to with the mechanics involved with muscle memeory and eye relief in reference to the scope. my suggestion is try shooting lefty but with a redot, they are point of impact, so no matter who is shooting the weapon it will always hit where the red dot is, where a scope is zeroed to an indevidual. the only downfall to them is there is no magnification, but i think it will better suit him if hes not prone to shooting lefty. good luck, and send by best to your father.