Starting to get discouraged. - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Shotgun Hunting
Shotgun Hunting Discuss Shotgun topics

Old 11-22-2008, 10:59 PM
Scrub Buck

Default Starting to get discouraged.

Does anyone out there have any good tips for hunting heavily pressured, public land? I am starting to get really discouraged. I went out opening morning(NY), and had to spend 45 minutes sneaking past a hunter 80 yds deep in the woods. When I finally got past him I spotted another in a tree stand 60 yds up the trail. There are so many people who hunt here, but I dont have any private land access.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2008, 04:22 AM
ronn

got to get in the way back. say a mile in on public land is not unusual. head in earlier by head lamp. hunting is work and hunting public land is even more work. start looking for private land to hunt. check with friends, relative of friends, just knock on doors and ask permission. most landowners really just want to know whose on their land. if you ask a hundred people and only 5 say yes thats 5 more places than you had before. worse that can happen is they say no. be sure to thank them for their time and leave. this asking is best done before the season, early summer, wearing street clothes. good luck
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 05:30 AM
B&C 160 Class

The only thing I would ad is, Get in the woods earlier!!! Be in you tree and let other prople drive the deer for you.
Old 11-23-2008, 06:05 AM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
The only thing I would ad is, Get in the woods earlier!!! Be in you tree and let other prople drive the deer for you.
I agree. Sounds like you slept in instead of getting you tail out of bed. Also you need to find a different access point so to be able to come in from behind these guys. Lastly wait until the first few days are over and hunt the last days DEEP in a thicket in a far quiet corner of the property. Biggest thing is get your tail out of bed earlier. Sleepy head Just teezing you!
Old 11-23-2008, 07:49 AM
ronn

that was there. "head in earlier by head lamp".
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 12:39 PM
Scrub Buck

Default getting discouraged...

I'm not sure where in NY you are hunting but I hunt in Virginia and all the military bases usually open their ranges areas for hunting here. Most require some form of hunting class and they have a system of area assignments for hunters so that noone is tripping over another. I hunt Quantico and they assign a percentage of the passes to Active Duty military who are assigned to the base, Active duty assigned elsewhere, Retired Military and Civilians. They have a good system. It is by far more controlled than say a state wildlife management area so it gives you good opportunity to score as long as you follow the rules. That being said just do a search for military bases in your area and I wouldn't be surprised if you hit on something. You may have to start next year to meet the class requirements etc but it should offer you a better option.
Old 11-28-2008, 10:01 PM
B&C 100 Class

Here are the main items a land owner wants to know about a hunter.
1. Is he safe?
2. Is he a person of integrity (can he be trusted and is he honest)?
3. How will he treat my property (goes back to item #2)?
4. Is he an ethical hunter (goes back to item #2)?
5. Am I being played (goes back to item #2)?

Ask the land owner(s) if there is something they would like you to do to show them you are safe, responsible and trustworthy. Ask if you can help with the property. If they have buildings, ask if there is any maintenance that you can do on the buildings (only ask this if you have experience in that area). If they use firewood, ask if you can help them with the firewood. If they have livestock, ask if you can help with the fencing or working with the livestock. You might end up helping to clean barns, pens an another undersirable job. If so, are you willing to do the dirty job and the work? If not, don't say you are willing to show them you can be trusted.

I grew up on a farm, but I now live in a city a long way from home. When I go home, I go home to see my parents/other family members and to help with the farm work. I don't go home during the hunting season.

I got to know a couple who knew I came from a farm. One day the husband asked if I ever deer hunted. I told him my hunting background (I had shot some deer while growing up on the farm) and the ethics/safety my dad had taught his sons (my sisters did not hunt). He asked if I would be interested in hunting on their land. I told him the truth - that I was very interested. I thanked him for the oportunity.

We hunted together for years. The times when I got a deer and he did not, I gave them half or more of the venison (I paid for the processing). If we both got a deer, I still gave them some venison and the item(s) they enjoyed the most. If he got a deer and I did not, they gave me some of their venison.

There were times I would go out to their farm to target practice and discover they could use help getting the crops planted. It was more important for their crops to be planted than for me to target practice, and I was glad to help. I was like another child to them, and they were like a second set of parents to me. We totally trusted each other. The husband has since died, but the wife is still living. The son that has bought the land is not a hunter. I have his permisson to hunt there, and I do still hunt there. If I get a deer this year, they will again get venison of their choice.

Another posiblility is joining a hunting/sportsmens' club. Quite often, the members of the club do work for the landowners in exchange for hunting privileges. Check to see if a hunting club is in your area. I hope this helps.

One last thing, always leave the land better and cleaner when you leave.
Old 11-29-2008, 04:53 AM
B&C 100 Class

I agree with the above poster. I don't have to hunt public land but if I had to bale/haul hay, clean up, mend fences, or whatever to gain acess to private land I would. The main thing is be sure to use your manners, show respect, and watch your mouth and actions while on these landowners property.
Old 04-02-2009, 04:34 PM
Scrub Buck

Default Excellent advice+

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
got to get in the way back. say a mile in on public land is not unusual. head in earlier by head lamp. hunting is work and hunting public land is even more work. start looking for private land to hunt. check with friends, relative of friends, just knock on doors and ask permission. most landowners really just want to know whose on their land. if you ask a hundred people and only 5 say yes thats 5 more places than you had before. worse that can happen is they say no. be sure to thank them for their time and leave. this asking is best done before the season, early summer, wearing street clothes. good luck
The above is all totally good. Also consider Googling (or hit TerraServer) for an aerial view (free, of course) of the entire area of the public land you are getting depressed about. Check out all access points. Pinpoint the one you've been using. Evaluate the overall situation. Get the topographical layout (same source as above). Look at the blue lines (creeks) and the elevations. Evaluate the best locations to set up a hunt based upon likely deer trails, water, ease to get in and out, elevations and realize 90% of your hunters will not go deep and will leave early. Plan to hunt from dark to dark.

Then, well before the season, like now, get out there and evaluate the difficulty of getting in (in the dark) and out (with a deer), with or without a cart, if you hunt alone. After you have studied the whole situation, you will know if you should move to 'greener pastures'.

The suggestions related to private land are perfect: find a farmer who has a good woodlot and always offer to share the hunt. 9 out of 10 times your offer will be declined with a smile, especially if the farmer hunts. Remember that deer do alot of damage to crops, so most farmers will be open to thinning the herd.

The most important thing is not NOT GET DISCOURAGED. Be patient, out think your competitors in the hunt for venison and use the resources at your disposal intelligently - the TerraServer aerials will show you where the larger stands of likely cover are, then you will narrow your search for landowners open to hunting their properties. Scouting is critical to shortening the odds in your favor. Safe hunting, brother!
Old 04-02-2009, 06:32 PM
B&C 120 Class

I hunted state land the first few years out hunting.It is tough you need to spend a lot of time in the woods this is key. Try and hunt the spots nobody else wants to. This will take some time on your part. Do you remember were you saw all those people? This is a start they will probably be back! The first two years on state land I hunted the morning in a stand and then walked and walked somemore, it took me a long time but I know a spot that no one will even try to get to. This year I saw a huge buck up there in the off season! I am fortunate now because i have gained permission to hunt some private land. These guys are right take the time to talk to the land owner, even go out of your way to do this it makes a diffrence I will be back on that property this year without a doubt! Good Luck!