Starting to get discouraged. - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Shotgun Hunting
Shotgun Hunting Discuss Shotgun topics

Old 07-02-2009, 12:32 PM
Scrub Buck

Default I agree with countryboy

What everyone has said is true: get up early, walk farther than the others and scout where you want to hunt. Public land is a great thing but can be difficult especially when there is a lot of pressure.

The only thing that I would like to add to countryboy's post is meeting the farmers.

In my experience if there is a small town near by then there is a bar. Go there to get some food or beer and just chat with the locals. At first some might be hesitant but there is always at least one that will talk your ear off. Buy him a beer and start asking questions. Do you know of anyone that would trade a weekend of hunting for a weekend of work?

This won't happen over night. I've been going to the area for 13 years now. Too many people, in my opinion, ask farmers to hunt on their land and don't offer anything in return. There is always something that needs to be done and your willingness to help will set you apart from the others.

I hunt if Western MN and have more land that I can hunt than I could possibly cover in one season. I did this by buying beers and always offering to help not matter what time of year it is. Soon you will meet other people and gain credibility by being around while other hunters are not.

Good Luck!
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2009, 02:22 PM
B&C 100 Class

another thing is get a topo map of the area, this won't help until AFTER the season, go back in the woods for 2 reasons. First look and mark on your map where most folk set up their stands, get in the woods an hour or 2 before them. Second deer change their movement patterns after the pressure of hunting season starts, winter, after the season a great time to see the new trails. The first day or so they will be in their normal pattern but it will change, have at least 2 stands marked and 2 ways into each one.
Also shed hunting in the spring or spring gobbler season is a great time to look for a stand.
Old 07-19-2009, 06:19 AM
Scrub Buck

Default hunting heavy pressure

I've found that these public hunting areas produce good deer. First find an area away from other hunters,no foot prints or candy wrappers. Hunt an area where no one else wants to go, also hunt the middle of the day while hunters have stopped for lunch or just got discouraged.
Old 07-21-2009, 07:39 AM
B&C 100 Class

I've been stuck hunting public land most of my life. I utilize aerial and topo maps and look to get in very deep because many hunters are basically lazy. Locate where a deer is likely to go ( the thickest stuff you can find) when pressed. Find where the best ambush point is and set up to catch him when he's trying to sneak away from other hunters. Get into your stand very, very early. Let the woods settle down before first light then let the other hunters drive him to you. Plan on staying all day. Hunters move around a lot when bored, hungry, or cold. This means they'll be jumping and pushing deer a good bit of the day. If I don't tag at dawn, I usually get another chance when every one else comes back into the woods in the afternoon and at dusk. I knocked down a pretty 8 point while everyone was leaving the woods to eat lunch at their vehicles.
Old 07-29-2009, 06:42 PM
Scrub Buck

Hi the info is great I would add that most city hunters and new hunters make a mistake of moveing around alot so if you get setup sit still all day while these hunters go to there car or truck to eat or get warm you sit still let them move the deer around for you hope it helps .
Old 07-29-2009, 07:53 PM
B&C 100 Class

My grandfather always said when hunting public land you got to go where no one else is willing to go that means to the highest gap of the mountain or the deepest hollow with the thickest thicket that is where the deer will go when the rest of the woods fill up with light weight hunters that barely get out of site of the truck.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:28 AM
B&C 100 Class

i also had to knock on doors its a little nerve wrecking at first but remember they are people to and most of them are really nice but if you dont have a choice but to hunt public. then as they said before find where others say there are no deer there thats where i would hunt because no one else is there and a lot of those guys are lazy and wont walk a mile to get to a stand site i knew a guy who put a basket on the back of a bicycle and would find the easiest route to a far secluded corner and hunt there because noone else would walk back there.
Jesus Said "come with me and i will make you fishers of men" matt 4:19
Old 08-03-2009, 02:18 PM
B&C 100 Class

A lot of good advice. I have hunted a lot of state land also. The only thing I can add that I haven't seen yet is if possible, find water. Somewhere that you need hip boots to get to and even hunt right in the middle of it. The best years I had on state land were when I was hunting in a swampy marsh surrounded by hunters in the woods. Then one year the beaver dam that had created the swamp washed out and it was all dried up. The spot was never any good after that. Also, if you do shoot a buck, wait until after dark to drag it out if possible so that nobody sees it, otherwise you will have company the next year. If there is snow on the ground try to get a friend to help you carry it out (after dark or it could be a target for some of the clowns out there). Believe it or not, I have actually had people back track my drag marks to find out where I shot a buck. It's sad because you wish you could just show it off to anyone you pass and they would be happy for you, but reality is, there are a lot of lazy hunters who don't have character.