Any deer hunters using slug guns? - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Shotgun Hunting
Shotgun Hunting Discuss Shotgun topics

Old 11-08-2008, 06:50 PM
B&C 100 Class

Question Any deer hunters using slug guns?

Hi guys, just wondering if there are any deer hunters using slug guns.Don't myself but i'm might be thinking on buying one so tell me what make and model you have and the goods and bads about them so i know what to buy.Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2008, 08:50 PM
ronn

Question Jose

Just back again putting in my two cents worth.It seem i have a hutnnig story for every thing i guess. It was about twenty years ago ,a hutnnig buddy and his girl freind all went hutnnig with me . Back then you did not see many women hutnnig . We all got in my truck in the morning early. ,I was surprized to see the little gal packing such big gun . I think it was a 303 british army sporter enfeild . Off we went down the logging , when we stopped the truck to take a pee , When me and buddy were out of hearing range ,I ask him can his girlfreind shoot that big gun , his reply was I dont know .Well off we went down the road again. All of sudden here runs some doe deer across the road and a very big 5 5 whitetail buck. my coffee hit the floor along with its container,I got my truck stopped .My buddy I and hopping around getting buck fever bad ,yet the little Gal remained comm and in collected mamer went to side and ahead of the truck put a bullet quickly into here gun and shot the buck, down it went . Well we were, some what shocked my buddy and I . So asked the Gal , did she get nervous. no she said , no time too. But I do feel like I,m going to puke now , after a minute our two she was ok. Off we went to see the downed buck ,125 yards later at here buck , the buck took the bullet right behind shoulder great shot . She said, that this was here first buck ,so I ask were she learned to shot like that .She said here grandfather taught her on his farm shooting tin cans ,were as she pulled out a knife ask for help gutting the deer.Granpa told me you got to clean your own game please give me a hand. Well I tell youI have seen alot things ,but she was something ,the little lady with the big gun! My Buddy did marry her ,and there still out there hutnnig every year. Ha Ha .

Last edited by Jose; 06-04-2012 at 09:46 PM. Reason: fRuUNWkydFDlKjf
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 12:09 AM
B&C 100 Class

I shoot a rem 870 express mag with a Hastings slug barrel and a leupold shotgun scope. I shoot the 3 inch Buckhammer slugs they are 600gr. Pros: shoots a really big bullet accurate out to 125 yards or so, thats about it besides it a really cool gun. Cons: It really kicks hard, a shotgun trigger is not like a rifle trigger so from the company its kind of hard to get used to it because you have to pull it so much harder, slugs are expensive. I really like mine when hunting with it, but sighting it in I recomend a Caldwells led sled or something similer.
Old 11-09-2008, 04:58 PM
B&C 120 Class

I prefer my muzzeloader over a shotgun. My state is doing a trial this year during shotgun if you have a shotgun tag you can use your muzzleloader.
Old 11-09-2008, 07:58 PM
B&C 100 Class

I have a bolt action slug gun with a ported barrel when I shoot from a stand or tower. If you are going to be hunting in heavy cover, I would recommend a pump or auto. For a pump, I like Remington 870 and Mossberg 500. Make sure to get one capable of shooting a 3" shell. Be aware that some have a rifled barrel and some have a smooth barrel. Don't confuse the description of rifle sights for a rifle barrel. If you are going to be putting an optical sight on a gun that is not a single action or bolt action, I recommend getting a barrel with a cantilever mount.

Rifled slugs can be more expensive than rifle ammo. Sabot slugs (for a rifled barrel) can be a few bucks a pop. Here is a tip. If you do decide to get a slug gun, buy one or two boxes of the same lot (box of 5) of three or four manufactures when they are on clearance after the season is over. See which proves to be most accurate. Personally, I like Lightfield EXP (I use 2 3/4 with a 1 1/4 once slug). I started using them years ago because they were the least expensive sabot round at the time (no longer true). This round really knocks them down.

Be aware that wind really affects a slug. Just a 10 MPH wind can push the slug 6 inches at 100 yards. When you sight in the gun, use a distance of 50 yards to set the windage (make sure it is perfectly centered vertically with the bullseye). Use the longer distances to adjust the elevation.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:26 AM
B&C 100 Class

all the ohio guys should be all over this one. i use a mossberg 835 open sights, rifled barrel and remington platinum tip sabots 2 3/4". if you are using a rifled barrel you SHOULD only use sabots as the lead slugs are so soft they will fill in the rifling and not be as accurate. one thing about the mossberg 500, and i have one and used to hunt with it, after they get "used" the fore grip, slide, gets loose and noisy, jmo. good gun though and the back sights fold down so remember to flip them up.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:47 AM
Scrub Buck

I shoot a Remington 870 20ga. with a Hastings 24" fully rifled cantilever mount barrel. I have a 2.5X20 Simmons scope on it, and shoot Remington "buckhammer" slugs. Its very accurate for a shotgun out to about 100 yards. This is what I have to hunt with in the NY southern zone where i live.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:34 AM
B&C 160 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
I have a bolt action slug gun with a ported barrel when I shoot from a stand or tower. If you are going to be hunting in heavy cover, I would recommend a pump or auto. For a pump, I like Remington 870 and Mossberg 500. Make sure to get one capable of shooting a 3" shell. Be aware that some have a rifled barrel and some have a smooth barrel. Don't confuse the description of rifle sights for a rifle barrel. If you are going to be putting an optical sight on a gun that is not a single action or bolt action, I recommend getting a barrel with a cantilever mount.

Rifled slugs can be more expensive than rifle ammo. Sabot slugs (for a rifled barrel) can be a few bucks a pop. Here is a tip. If you do decide to get a slug gun, buy one or two boxes of the same lot (box of 5) of three or four manufactures when they are on clearance after the season is over. See which proves to be most accurate. Personally, I like Lightfield EXP (I use 2 3/4 with a 1 1/4 once slug). I started using them years ago because they were the least expensive sabot round at the time (no longer true). This round really knocks them down.

Be aware that wind really affects a slug. Just a 10 MPH wind can push the slug 6 inches at 100 yards. When you sight in the gun, use a distance of 50 yards to set the windage (make sure it is perfectly centered vertically with the bullseye). Use the longer distances to adjust the elevation.
GREAT POST!!
Old 11-10-2008, 04:29 PM

I actually put the .270 away 3 years ago & started carring my mossberg 835 I have got 4 deer with it in the last 3 years the woods are too thick for long range shots & who knows where a stick would send that .270 round While hunting in NY 3 years ago I shot right through a small tree never saw it in the scope (about 1 1/2 Dia) stayed on target & took out the deer ever since I have been hunting with it If I were going some where where I had over a 75 yards I would most likely pull out the .270
Old 11-10-2008, 07:16 PM
B&C 120 Class

As mentioned above I grab my TC Omega every time. I own a rifled 12 gauge slug gun. My Omega shoots less than 1" groups at 100 yards. I am lucky to get a 3" group from my slug gun at that range. I would rather have only 1 shot and be very confident with it than multiple shots for less accuracy.