Any deer hunters using slug guns? - Page 3 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Shotgun Hunting
Shotgun Hunting Discuss Shotgun topics

Old 11-23-2008, 02:51 PM
Scrub Buck

Default slug gun

if you dont mind having only 1 shot new england arms has a 12 ga single with rifled bull barrel and scope mounts i have a red dot on mine and shoot 3" brennake slugs, its the flatest shooting gun i have ever owned good to over 100 yards
you can get gun and scope for under 350.00 out the door
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2010, 01:14 PM
Scrub Buck

Smile H&R Ultraslug All the way!

I've hunted NJ and Maryland both for two years and Ohio for one year. Where I hunt in all three states offers a combination of open woods and interspersed fields of 40 acres or so in size. I needed a gun and scope combination that would accomodate both and since the places I hunt are shotgun only, that limited my choice from the start. I opted to go with an H&R Ultraslug gun because I had the opportunity to shoot my brother-in-laws and was truly impressed at how tightly it grouped sabot slugs. I ended-up getting the H&R Ultraslug with the laminated thumbhole stock and a Nikon scope. I went to my local range to sight it in and to determine which sabot slug worked best in my new gun. I tried 3" Remington Accutips, 3" Winchester Supreme Partition Gold, the 3" Brenneke KO Sabot, and the 3" Federal Vital-Shok Barnes Expander. As you can see, it was not inexpensive to determine which sabot my gun preferred. Anyway, my new H&R Ultraslug preferred the 3" Winchester Supreme Partition Gold by a slight margin. I actually shot all the sabots pretty well but I wanted to use the one that preformed best. Well, two years and 7 deer later, I must say that as far as I am concerned, nothing . . . and I mean nothing beats the H&R Ultraslug for accuracy. Every deer was an instant "drop where they stood" kill. My furthest shot to date was 140 paces along the edge of an open field just after sunup. I was impressed to say the least. The H&R Ultraslug is a bit on the heavy side but it is funny how you don't notice that fact when you are gutting you deer! 7 shots from 20 to 140 paces - 7 instant kills - no trailing - no chasing - no missing . . . and the gun and scope combo cost me just under $400.00. Now you just can't dislike the gun when it consistently provides this kind of result can you?
Old 12-06-2010, 04:56 PM

well I have used my shotgun on 3 deer all went down where they stood & I only have used the cheap remmy sluggers
I tried them fisrt & my cheap Charles Daly seems to like them so I have not tried anything else I don't get the shotgun out much as I mostly use the rifle but depends on where I am hunting
Old 12-06-2010, 07:17 PM

By the weekend I hope to have a new saddle mount and red dot on a Rem 870 express mag w/slug barrel. This is my Christmas present to me! I haven't yet shot the 870 so all sight-in will be first shots fired. Anybody shooting 870 slug guns and what sabots are you using? Thanks.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:43 PM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunting Man View Post
By the weekend I hope to have a new saddle mount and red dot on a Rem 870 express mag w/slug barrel. This is my Christmas present to me! I haven't yet shot the 870 so all sight-in will be first shots fired. Anybody shooting 870 slug guns and what sabots are you using? Thanks.
I use Hornady SST and Winchester BRI sabots. My 20 gauge 870 slug gun prefers the BRI's over the SST's quite a bit more. You may want to try some Lightfields, Winchester BRI's, Remington Accutips or Rem Copper Solids.
Old 12-07-2010, 01:09 AM
B&C 100 Class

I shoot a 870 12ga with sluggers killed 8 deer with it.never had to track more than 20 yards most were drt
Old 12-20-2010, 08:03 PM
B&C 100 Class

I like to shoot a H&R single shot with lightfield slugs. The gun is shorter in length but it makes up for it in weight witch makes it easier to steady the gun for using a scope. The good thing about the gun is the accuracy of it, the down side of it is it is only a single shot. I can hold groups at a 100 yards within a inch. Each gun is tested by the company to shoot 100 yard groups. Check one out and you would be pleased. Good luck, and good hunting.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:07 AM
B&C 140 Class

I hunt Delaware and Maryland with Delaware being shotgun only. I have the older 210 Savage in 12 gauge shooting the SST. I purchased the gun very reasonably and had the trigger adjusted to 2.5lbs and it is only limited by the guy shooting it. lol The price was really reasonable and it does the job for me
for the last ten years.
Good luck,
daddus
Old 12-27-2010, 10:47 AM
Scrub Buck

Thumbs up 12 Ga. H&R Ultra Slug

I hunt New Jersey and Delaware every year and use a 12 Ga. H&R Ultra Slug. I have taken 23 deer in my life - all with slugs. Early on I used a Mossberg 500 with a rifled barrel and rifle sights but i found I was missing deer when I tried longer shots. When the Ultra Slug first came out I bought one and traded my Mossberg 500 in on it. I have never looked back. If I have learned nothing else in my life, I have learned that after the first shot is fired, the deer is almost always down or gone, so why worry about the second shot.

If your shots are always 50 yds or less, it doesn't really matter which gun you use but if you have the possibility of 100 yd plus shots get yourself a 12 ga. H&R UltraSlug and put a really good 3x9 scope on it. One more piece of advice is to spend the time and money to determine which sabot your Ultra Slug likes best . . . and it is very possible that gun to gun, the type and length will vary. This is an expensive proposition but if you are looking at a 10 pointer at 150 yds, you will wish you had!

I use a Nikon 3x9 Slughunter with the BDC reticule. I also own and use a good rangefinder and hunt exclusively from a tree stand at the edge of a field. For me, this is a combination that can't be beat. My farthest shot to date has been 146 yds ranged. That 7 point (as well as every other deer since getting my Ultra Slug) has dropped where they stood. I credit the gun but I also credit the 3" 12 ga. Winchester Partitioned Gold Sabots.

By the way, I hunt a friends farm in Delaware and he hunts my farm in NJ - we limit hunters to each other and immediate family. We both used to allow others to hunt our farms but carless fires and trash have caused both of us to restrict access as I mentioned. It is a real shame that a few have to ruin it for all!

Last edited by OldPhart; 12-27-2010 at 10:52 AM.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:40 AM
B&C 100 Class

The only legal choices for deer hunting where I live are shotgun, handgun, & muzzleloader. I have taken deer with all of the above. When I really want to get seriious about filling the freezer, I grab my old .20 ga Ithaca Deerslayer. This is a smoothbore, rifle sighted gun & I have always shot Remington Sluggers through it. In my younger years I used to hunt with open sights, but have had a scope mounted on the barrel of this gun for quite a few years now.
I like the .20 ga because it shoots a little flatter than the heavier .12 ga slugs but still has plenty of knock down power. (too many people suffer from "magnumitis") I have the gun sighted in at 75 yards, but can aim dead on at ranges from up close out to about 100 yards. Realistically though, most of my deer are taken within 30 yards.