20 ga slug issues - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Shotgun Hunting
Shotgun Hunting Discuss Shotgun topics

Old 10-15-2008, 11:22 AM
Scrub Buck

Default 20 ga slug issues

Hi all,

I bought a new Rem 1187 20ga with rifled barrel and canteliver scope mount. I put on a Nikon Slughunter, had it bore sighted and whet to the range. At 25yds with Rem core lokt ultras 2 3/4 (sabots) it was all over the paper for me and my freind who both are decient shots. I am guessing that the gun does not like the amo and i am going to try a few diffrent brands. Annyone ever have similar issues?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2008, 09:38 PM

Sorry I cant help you. But im going to bump this post so maybe some of our shotgun hunters can help you out. Ive never hunted deer with a shotgun in my life.. Just bow, ml and rifle here in TN.
Old 10-18-2008, 10:05 PM
Scrub Buck

Smile

Bump away. Thanks.
Old 10-19-2008, 08:07 AM
B&C 140 Class

Are you sure it is rifled? Check your scope. Should be on the money.
Old 10-19-2008, 08:44 AM
ronn

Wink They're great small

They're great small game and predator guns; 12- or 20-ga over a .223 for ceytoos, foxes, etc, and 20ga or .410 over .22 for rabbits and squirrels.If you're presented with a shot at a treed squirrel, a .22 is a bad choice, but on the ground it prevents meat damage; same for rabbits that are running/holding still.Without a doubt they're a compromise gun, but they certainly have their place. If it's the only gun available and you're hunting something while there are restrictions in place, the only answer is to leave all the inappropriate ammo at home.

Last edited by Adip; 04-18-2014 at 10:02 AM. Reason: m7NYizgs
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 07:53 PM
Scrub Buck

Went back out to the range today. Put Winchester platum tips and Honaday SSt's in and it was putting 3" 3 shot groups at 50 yds and 5 inch groups at 100 yds. Probbably would have been better if the guy aiming it wasn't so rusty. Since I have been asking I have had 2 people say the had the same issue with the remington sabot ammo. I think you have to find out what your gun likes. Now that I have the gn ready I can get back into my tree stand with the bow and not be thinking about the gun.
Old 10-19-2008, 07:55 PM
ronn

Post Hey, you are closer

Hey, you are closer to the peorsn above you than the peorsn below you is to you. That's a win at any placement.3-Gun sounds like a blast, but damn that's a lot of rounds going downrange in practice. And not at Eagle Creek. Time to buy a couple acres out west of town, then a shotgun.

Last edited by Abanx; 04-19-2014 at 10:43 AM. Reason: G0zTXFc6Fw
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 09:49 PM

Maybe using a gun rest with the push button firing control will help. You could level it off for the target to be right in the center of the cross hairs and then fire to see how accurate it is. Maybe you pull the shot or flinch a tad. Just a thought.
Old 11-22-2008, 10:45 PM
Scrub Buck

Default new to blogging

Hi i'm a little new to blogging, but your question about slug trouble caught my attention. I've been hunting w/ a mossberg model 500 since i was 12, deer since i was 16. I've only had trouble with my remington slugs once and that was because when i took my gun apart to clean and put it back toghether i did not seat the barrel tight enough against the reciever. if you have taken the gun apart check it carefully, if not go ahead and try another brand.
Old 11-02-2009, 07:53 PM
B&C 100 Class

I would try a couple different brands. My 870 loves seems very picky when it comes to slugs. I really like winchester partition golds sabots. They kick like a mule, but are the best as far as accuracy I found for my gun. I couldn't hit paper at 25 yard with federals.