!!!wanted!!! - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Shotgun Hunting
Shotgun Hunting Discuss Shotgun topics

Old 02-12-2008, 12:58 PM

Joel, my first gun was a Remington wingmaster 16 ga. I got it Christmas 1966. I don't know who was more happy me or my dad. It is still in my gun cabinet and its in great shape. I have been looking for an old double in 16 ga for grouse, maybe LC Smith, Parker, ect.The 16 ga went away pretty much when the 20 ga 3" mags came out, but recently there's been some new interest in the old 16 ga especially in the old doubles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2008, 01:46 PM
B&C 180 Class

well there ya go "ya learn something new everyday" so its between a12 and a 20?
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 02-13-2008, 03:34 PM

Yep.
From big to little: 4 ga, 8 ga, 10 ga, 12 ga, 16 ga, 20 ga, 28ga, 410 ga. The 20 ga with 3" mag loads will out perform a 16 ga. The 16 is a great load for birds, rabbits. Most of today's duck/goose hunters would not think much of using a 16.
Old 02-13-2008, 05:53 PM
B&C 180 Class

see i didnt even know about the 4 or the 8 either. thanks im going to talk with my uncle i bet he has one of each in his safe.
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 02-13-2008, 06:35 PM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by joel the signman View Post
see i didnt even know about the 4 or the 8 either. thanks im going to talk with my uncle i bet he has one of each in his safe.
Unles he was a commercial duck hunter back in the day I doubt it. They were mostly used strapped down to the bow of a boat. Shooting it would be a good way to dislocate your shoulder but only if you could pick the damn thing up. Living around the Ches.Bay you see a lot of them in museums. I did see one shot once----
The boat moved back 15' real quik.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:14 PM

Yep, the boats were generally called a sneak boat as the hunters (loosely labeled) would get up wind of a large flock of ducks and let the wind push them into range of the big deck gun. The object was to get as many of the ducks with one shot for the markets to sell. I believe the the guns were all black powder in 4-8 ga.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:25 PM
B&C 100 Class

go to you tube and type in .....Punt gun (shotgun) video - best angle...... theres some other ones too. That thing is nuts!
Old 02-14-2008, 12:59 AM
B&C 180 Class

that i have seen before
Old 03-12-2008, 04:17 PM
B&C 100 Class

thanks guys;)
Old 03-12-2008, 04:19 PM
B&C 100 Class

the largest shoulder fired shotgun was the 4 i think