Deer Hunting Forums banner

Best slug gun under $350

18K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  AlbertS 
#1 ·
Does anyone know of a slug gun under 350 I prefer a 20 gauge but if a 12 is all I got I'll take it and I want to be able to kill a deer at 100 yards and I don't want a single shot

#2 ·
Shotgun,

You are asking for quite a lot for under $350, and be able to reach out to 100 yds. You may be able to find a shotgun, with rebates, for under $350. I think Remington has there 870's on rebate now. You will need a good scope separate than what it comes with, if it comes with one. A good scope, recommended/designed to be shot with slugs, will run you around $150+. If you willing to sacrifice and go with a single shot, you will be more in line with what you are looking for. You could also check for used guns as well. I bought a Mossberg 500 combo (slug barrel w/scope and bird barrel) from Dick's Sporting Goods for $379.00, but had to get a better scope. Good Luck.

#5 ·
I've got a Mossberg 500 20ga that i bought for around 250 new. Bird barrel only then i found a fully rifled with mounted cantilever scope for $150 from Mossberg. Its our kids/ loaner gun and with Brennekes short field magnums it will shoot nice groups at 100 yards. This past weekend it took deer from 25 yards out. Nephew took a doe at a measured 110 yards with 6" holdover. Your asking for alot for $350 but if you jump up $100-$200 its certainly reasonable. I traded the bird barrel off btw and got 8 boxes of the Brennekes($48 or so) and a sling and swivel set, and a "butt out" deer dressin thingy($9). Be creative and you may get something for $350 or less. Lots of gun on sale now for christmas and hunting seasons winding down.

#11 ·
I recommend the Remington 870 express

The Remington 870 express is available in both 12 and 20 gauge. It goes on sale at 299.xx. My Son has one in 12 gauge that he loves. The 26 inch barrel worked fine for his high school trap team. He is now using it for turkeys with a special extra full choke. You can get a rifled choke for the barrel that will help with accuracy shooting the sabot slugs. The problem that you may have is sighting down the vent rib is not as precise as using front and rear fixed sights. My Son has no problems sighting down the rib at 30 to 40 yards for Turkey, you are talking about 100 yard shots. There is a company that makes sights that attach to the vent rib of a shotgun, that will give you a more accurate sight picture for shooting at 100 yards. The shotgun can group slugs at 100 yards, the only question is can the shooter.

Karl

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.