My First Deer - Page 3 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Shotgun Hunting
Shotgun Hunting Discuss Shotgun topics

Old 10-17-2008, 03:51 PM
B&C 120 Class

I hunt withsomeone and if he has the choice would shoot the smaller animal. He says they are more tender.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2008, 04:24 PM

Don't pay much attention to him, shoot the biggest deer = more meat in the freezer. A deer is a deer. Maybe an old buck in the rut has a bit more gamey taste, but I'd still shoot/eat him. Add that bacon wrap and enjoy!
Old 10-30-2008, 06:30 AM
Scrub Buck

Congrats!!! Your first deer is always the one you remember the most.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:01 PM
Scrub Buck

A lot depends on where you hunt. 80lbs might be a good deer for your area. It would be a tad small for around here, but if it's brown it's down in our group. Did you throw it over your back to carry it out of the woods? Just kidding...sort of..
Old 11-07-2008, 12:05 PM
Scrub Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle View Post
Welcome and Congrats,

Till recently I too did most of my shopping at Walmart. I always thought the other places would be way too expensive. Well, I was wrong Basspro and Gander Mtn. have a lot the same items at comparable prices. The difference is they have a much larger selection. So just get what you need and don't worry about where it came from, maybe check Walmart and if they don't have exactly what you want the try one of the others.
I've found the bigger the item the more likely it is to be comparable in price. Smaller thing like: scent wicks, grunt calls, flash lights, knives and the like are almost always cheaper at Walmart.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:25 PM
Scrub Buck

Default The rising sun in your face.

The sun glasses are probably a bad idea depending on how high up you are in your tree, I would try to manage without them. but what is more important than that is your shadow, i try to keep the sun at my back if at all possible so i can see my shadow. lots of newer hunters get busted because of the movement of there shadow. even if a deer is facing away from you, you can still be busted. be aware of it. i have a checklist that i have drilled into my head over the years that i do every time i get in my stand, and finding and tracking my shadow is one of them. every so often i will slowly stand up and see where it falls. more often than not it determens when and where i will make my crucial movements, like drawing my bow. good luck to you and may many more deer grace your table.