Newer shot gun hunter - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Shotgun Hunting
Shotgun Hunting Discuss Shotgun topics

Old 12-20-2007, 12:11 PM
B&C 120 Class

Default Newer shot gun hunter

Hi well Im pretty new to hunting birds and using shot guns, my dad got me a little single shot 4-10 from remmington about well a year ago for my birth day last year and Ive recently had another one but I still dont know much about shot guns I know that there is like chokes, guages, patterns diferent slugs but I dont really know what they are or what they do, so could some one help me out and explain it to me better? thank you soooo much
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2007, 01:47 PM
B&C 180 Class

shotguns are a blast.your little 410 can actually shoot slugs and can be used as a deer rifle.the chokes are little tubes that screw into the end of the barell they open or restrict by milimeter the opening which the pellets fly through.this is mainly used in bird hunting and shooting clays.the fuller the choke like a full coke or extra full the tighter more close together the pellets shot string will be then you have modified .improved and improved modified these all open up the string to shoot a wider pattern,the wider the patteren the bigger the cloud of pellets but there are trade offs when you go wide there will be fewer pellets in the area as opposed to a full where all the pellets go to one spot ,like a turkeys head.hope that helps explain chokes.the gauge of the rifle refers to the bore size and the ammo it uses .it goes like this410,20 12 10 smallest to largest.im sure the others will add to this so know ya know get out and start shooting and have fun
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 12-20-2007, 01:50 PM
B&C 120 Class

thanks that really helps so my 410 can shoot bullets like my 22-250 ?
Old 12-20-2007, 02:23 PM
B&C 180 Class

no definately not dont do itit can shot a slug shotgun shell only
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 12-20-2007, 02:27 PM
B&C 120 Class

oh ok lol
Old 12-20-2007, 03:03 PM
B&C 180 Class

glad ya understood .I couldnt find a font big enough
Old 12-20-2007, 03:09 PM
B&C 120 Class

lol
Old 12-20-2007, 03:27 PM
B&C 180 Class

by the way that 410 makes a sweet bird gun cuz ya can carry it all day at port arms without YOUR arms falling off
Old 12-20-2007, 03:34 PM
B&C 120 Class

yepp sure right
Old 02-09-2008, 12:42 AM
Scrub Buck

The shotgun is the most versitile arm you can carry to the field. I have an old H&R 12 gauge Topper single shot shotgun. That gun has harvested everything from a bobwhite quail to a wild boar. Just change loads, know your range, and you have meat on the table. Keep concious of what loads you are using for a particular game species and a shotgun will serve you well. I learned this year that 00 buckshot is very effective at taking a deer within in its range. Most of all, have fun, treat the game with respect and pass it on!!!!!