new hunter - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Shotgun Hunting
Shotgun Hunting Discuss Shotgun topics

Old 11-28-2007, 12:53 PM
Scrub Buck

Default new hunter

hi my name is josh im 20 years old and a new hunter and i was wondering if some one would like to give me so tips i know the basics i think.me and my buddy have been going often this year and we also turkey hunt we've seen deer turkey hunting but now that its deer season we can seem to see anything so if anyone would like to help me out it would be greatly appreciated thank you verey mutch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2007, 01:43 PM

What's up deerhunter81 and welcome to the site. You came to the right spot for tips and advice. Greetings from a fellow New Yorker. My first tip for you is SCENT CONTROL, CONTROLYOUR HUMAN SCENT BECAUSE TO ANY GAME ANIMAL WE HUMANS SMELL LIKE, WELL, YOU KNOW. GOOD LUCK.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:46 PM
B&C 100 Class

yes i agree the most important thing to keep in mind is scent........ i would go to your local sporting goods store or wherever it is that you go to get your hunting needs and buy just about everything they have for scent control... read the directions on the scents you buy believe it or not the they are there for a reason.
next is your location? where and what kind of terrain are you hunting? until i know i have no further input. send me a message with that info and ill help you out the best i can.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:05 PM

Yeah you got the big BassPro store down the road in Auburn man it's cool there.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:08 PM
B&C 180 Class

ive been to that one its huge.a fellow could go broke in a place like that.
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 11-28-2007, 06:09 PM
Scrub Buck

I'm hunting in hardwood and a field its not a food plot its just grass i don't know what kind it is I've been using Deaddownwind it seem to word cause there was a rabbit that came up to use about 2 feet I'm stumped
Old 11-28-2007, 06:11 PM
Scrub Buck

yea the bass pro shop is great we are supose to get a supper mall in syracuse and i gess theres talk about putting one here too
Old 11-28-2007, 07:58 PM
B&C 180 Class

ok what i would do is walk the perimeter of the woods/field and look for deer sign.if there are corners that would be a good spot to start if you go with a buddy one can walk in the woods 50 yrds deep and the other walks the edge just outside the woods.walk together wear orange if you kick up a deer one of you should be able to get a shot off .the other option is to set up on the spots where you find the sign.I would bet 20$ that theres got to be a trail winding thru the woods to the corner of the field i would post 30-50 off that trail with a good shooting lane.bring warm cloths some thing to sit on and a thermos of something warm and food and sit there all day with your binnoculars scanning.you should see does moving at first light and 1 hr before sunset the bucks will follow the does.dont leave at lunch time .deer are hip to that and will get up and walk around from 12-2 then rest again.now you've got a plan go use it and post a pic of your deer.
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 11-28-2007, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joel the signman View Post
ok what i would do is walk the perimeter of the woods/field and look for deer sign.if there are corners that would be a good spot to start if you go with a buddy one can walk in the woods 50 yrds deep and the other walks the edge just outside the woods.walk together wear orange if you kick up a deer one of you should be able to get a shot off .the other option is to set up on the spots where you find the sign.I would bet 20$ that theres got to be a trail winding thru the woods to the corner of the field i would post 30-50 off that trail with a good shooting lane.bring warm cloths some thing to sit on and a thermos of something warm and food and sit there all day with your binnoculars scanning.you should see does moving at first light and 1 hr before sunset the bucks will follow the does.dont leave at lunch time .deer are hip to that and will get up and walk around from 12-2 then rest again.now you've got a plan go use it and post a pic of your deer.

Dang, this guys good!!!
Old 11-29-2007, 12:19 PM
Scrub Buck

what are good sings to look for i seen game trails but i didnt see any traks