new hunter - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Shotgun Hunting
Shotgun Hunting Discuss Shotgun topics

Old 11-29-2007, 05:26 PM
B&C 180 Class

look on the side of trees bout 3 ft up for rubbed off bark the fresher the better.(rubs).next look for circles of pawed dirt in an otherwise leave covered area get close and smell if it smells funky (scrape) the trifecta is a rub with a scrape with a low overhanging brach thats been nibbled on (licking branch)deer pellets, want to impress your friends when you find some pop a few raisenetts in your mouth chew them and look wistfull and say wow good deer these are fresh from a monster buck.never fails to get a laugh.and drum roll please the number 1 deer sign to look for is .......................A DEER
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2007, 10:06 PM
Scrub Buck

well thank you verey mutch ill be rying theres tips tomrowo i only have 2 weeks left for my season
Old 11-29-2007, 10:12 PM
B&C 180 Class

if you do what i said and stay scent free .i shower with that green soap hair too .You stay all day you'll score good luck to ya .do you have any doe tags?whats your zone 7?
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 12-01-2007, 02:16 AM

there are some examples of rubs right here.

http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/articles/deer-rubs/

Maybe this will help in what your looking for.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:14 AM
Scrub Buck

yea no luck i stayed out till 130 cause i had to work(crappy) no deer still i have no doe tags i wish i did the fist deer i ever seen was a doe and yes i am in zone 7.its snowing now i hope that will come to my advantage i going out Sunday all day so i hope i can get one and dose any one now about duck or gees hunting in new york
Old 12-01-2007, 01:02 PM
B&C 180 Class

what zone in 7 are you i have a doe doe tag for 7r i was hunting up that way and i drew 2 tags.I also do ducks and geese are you near montazuma refuge?
Old 12-01-2007, 05:05 PM
Scrub Buck

no i live in Syracuse it is 7f my other buddy got one for 7r him and his dad go down there in marathon or something what is you opinion about smoking(cigarettes) wile hunting my friends dad dose it all the time and he already fill all of his tags i know it kind of defeat the purpose of sent eliminator and what is your choose of sent eliminator i was using dead down wind
Old 12-01-2007, 05:07 PM
Scrub Buck

i want to get into duck and goose hunting its seems like a blast all you do it call and shoot right?
Old 12-01-2007, 06:27 PM
B&C 100 Class

Smoking is okay as long as you pay close attention to the wind, and always hunt into the wind. I'm a smoker, and I always smoke when I'm hunting, and never had to many problems getting a deer. That was my very first lesson from my grandfather.

He was a smoker too. The first time he took me hunting with him he was calling deer and they were replying and I couldn't understand as a child how come the deer couldn't smell the smoke. He said to me, do you hear them deer calling and I said yes, He then said where are they, and I pointed in front of us.

Then he said where is the smoke going, and I said behind us. Then it hit me like a ton of bricks. It was one of the most valuable lessons that any hunter could ever learn.

Watch the wind my friend.

AJHunter
Old 12-02-2007, 09:39 PM
B&C 180 Class

well dh81 anything?