1st time hunting - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Shotgun Hunting
Shotgun Hunting Discuss Shotgun topics

Old 10-11-2012, 02:39 PM
Scrub Buck

Default 1st time hunting

This is my first year going deer hunting. I bought a Winchester 140 12 gauge. Does anyone have any recommendations for me about this gun? Meaning...did I pick alright? I was looking for a 20 gauge shotgun, but no where near me did anyone have a 20 gauge shotgun for sale at a reasonable price. Everyone that I have asked has told me that it would kick too hard for me and that I shouldn't have bought it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2012, 08:09 PM
B&C 140 Class

but a good pad on it and you will be alright. when you shoot at a deer you wont notice the recoil anyway. Slugs or buckshot?
Old 10-11-2012, 08:28 PM

Alot of practice shots will help you with the recoil and accuracy. Just don't go out without knowing its capabilities and limitations. And Welcome to the DHC!!!!!!
Old 10-11-2012, 10:07 PM

If my poor memory serves me the Winchester 140 model falls into their Ranger line. These were fairly inexpensive shotguns for their time. The reports are not very good on them. If you have a sound working model I see no reason not to use it. Depending on your physical size, a full sized 20 ga shotgun does not kick with much authority even in 3". Hopefully it has a rifled barrel if not then your shootable deer distance is about 50-60 yds. You will have to see where it prints slugs on targets to see what kind of groups it will shoot. I would start at 25 yds with a good sound background and a 3X3 feet sheet of cardboard. Purchase a couple boxes of different rifled slugs, if the barrel isn't rifled, and see which ones give you the best group. If the barrel is rifled, then purchase a couple boxes of saboted slugs and again see which one gives the best group. The 140 models had some weak spring issues and hopefully yours is trouble free. Good luck and happy hunting.