Getting sheds.... - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > Other Hunting Topics > Shed Hunting
Shed Hunting Show us your latest find and teach us your tricks to finding sheds here!

Old 02-08-2012, 02:02 PM
B&C 180 Class

Default Getting sheds....

I was wondering if anyone has done the cattle panel or chicken wire idea? This is where you place corn or some food source under the panel of wire and the bucks will knock their racks off while eating the corn?

If so... I have a few questions: how high do you put it? and how do you attach the chicken wire or panels? I have a buddy that said to use 2 t-posts and a cattle panel but I'm trying to figure out how the cattle panel would stay horizontal... maybe I'm dumb, but I can't figure it out. I don't want to make this permanent... in fact, I'd like to make it as easy as possible.

Any help would be appreciated.
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2012, 10:05 PM
B&C 140 Class

A budy of mine just puts chicken wire around the legs of his tri pod feeder and use's bail wire to attach it with. works well for him.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:31 AM
B&C 180 Class

Finally heard how to do this idea from my friend-- he said you take two t-posts and angle them into the ground pointing the same direction, but about 14-16 feet apart. Then you take a cattle panel and place it on the t-posts so that it is at a 45degree angle to the ground... the panel on one long side will be touching the ground. then place food in the corner of the inside of the 45degree angled panel and the buck's racks will get tangled in the panel and fall off right there.

Sounds like a good idea to me-- I have the stuff at home to try this, so I think I'm going to head out early Saturday morn to set this up. Shouldn't take longer than 15 min to set up. Going to place a trail cam over it too to see what I get.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:59 AM
B&C 140 Class

I might have to try that one myself, I've never seen it done without useing the tri pod feeder. Easy n simple is always great when packing stuff in and out of the woods.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:16 AM
B&C 180 Class

I'm planning on setting it up this sat morning- if I can remember, I'll bring a camera and take a pic of the set-up. I'm just hoping it works!

Here's another way I saw on google... it looks like it'd work too if you didn't want to put out that much corn... here's a pic below

Old 02-10-2012, 07:23 PM

question & may be stupid but what happens to the deer if the antlers get stuck & are not ready to come off? would feel really bad if the deer was runninga round with the wire attached or the deer got hurt trying to free itsefl just wondering if that is a possibility?

"If George Washington was asked for his I.D. do you think he just wipped out a quarter?"
Steven Wright
Old 02-11-2012, 02:22 PM
B&C 140 Class

If they are not loose and ready to come off with a little help then the deer shouldnt have any more problem getting his rack out than if he was walking through some thick cover and had to wiggle out of.
Old 02-11-2012, 03:44 PM
Scrub Buck

i did the v thing with only 1 instaed of 2 got a buck coming regurally now. i just bought some small 4' fence post used wire we had in shed and fitted it in the post properaly just finshed have trail camera over it now just finshed about 20 minutes ago
Old 02-11-2012, 03:48 PM
Scrub Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfdeputy2 View Post
question & may be stupid but what happens to the deer if the antlers get stuck & are not ready to come off? would feel really bad if the deer was runninga round with the wire attached or the deer got hurt trying to free itsefl just wondering if that is a possibility?
could barely pull the fence post out of the frozen ground let alone 3 at the same time if your whole are big enough the wont get stuck to get the antler to "shed" it just takes a little knock so if it hits the post of wire it should just fall is my thinking
Old 02-13-2012, 06:08 AM

Ok makes sense
never tried it I just hear stories of deer with all kinds of junk stuck on their antlers so I just do it the old fashion way scout for them

"If George Washington was asked for his I.D. do you think he just wipped out a quarter?"
Steven Wright