Deer Hunting Forums

Deer Hunting Forums (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/)
-   Shed Hunting (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/shed-hunting/)
-   -   Shed hunting techniques (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/shed-hunting/7408-shed-hunting-techniques.html)

tator 03-15-2011 03:03 PM

Shed hunting techniques

Anyone have anything they do special to find sheds? When I'm out searching for them the thought that constantly goes through my mind is "this is like finding a needle in a haystack".

What really ticks me off is watching those hunting shows and they find TRUCK LOADS of them. I'm talking 100's and 100's of them. COMON' REALLY <--- I yell :bag:

WisconsinDeer 03-15-2011 03:58 PM

Just take your time and go slow. They blend in well, so by the time you see them you'll probably be practically stepping on it.

jake112 03-18-2011 11:05 PM

if you have any extra money buying a semi or fully trained shed dog would increase your find drastically and might even make you money if you find lots of nice sheds and sell them, also you could train your own dog but it would take almost a year of your time.

BruceBruce1959 03-19-2011 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tator (Post 53843)
Anyone have anything they do special to find sheds? When I'm out searching for them the thought that constantly goes through my mind is "this is like finding a needle in a haystack".

What really ticks me off is watching those hunting shows and they find TRUCK LOADS of them. I'm talking 100's and 100's of them. COMON' REALLY <--- I yell :bag:

They find that many because they're at private deer farms. I bet there are some public places in this country where sheds are a little more plentiful but nothing like they show you on television.
Those "pros" find their sheds the same way they hunt their game, on fenced farms!
That hunting style is set far apart from what real hunting is all about, whether they're filming for shed antlers or game animals it's easier for them to make movies that way. :crazy:

ronn 03-19-2011 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BruceBruce1959 (Post 54060)
They find that many because they're at private deer farms. I bet there are some public places in this country where sheds are a little more plentiful but nothing like they show you on television.
Those "pros" find their sheds the same way they hunt their game, on fenced farms!
That hunting style is set far apart from what real hunting is all about, whether they're filming for shed antlers or game animals it's easier for them to make movies that way. :crazy:

lee and tiffany and the kiskeys find truck loads and they aren't fenced in! some of the dury pros find truck loads and the deer are free range! i know guys in md del and jeresy that find truck loads and they aren't fenced in!

going down this only half true, bais, not like me, road again bb?

ronn 03-19-2011 08:19 AM

snowshoe the deer trails. the deer will stay on the beaten trails in the snow and when the antlers drop they should be right there. problem is they can be under the snow. a friend of mine snowshoed in an area he knows and found a set. the other problem is, a problem he found, even though they have only been on the ground a short time the squirrels, mice, and chipmunks, had already started eating them. its rare to find them here without chew marks....heck its rare period.

BruceBruce1959 03-19-2011 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tator (Post 53843)

Ronn I wasn't even going to reply to your post but I think it's best for me to shine light on your misunderstanding to what I posted.

If you Re-read the "Quote" and then Re-read my "REPLY" to the quote you'll see that the Quote AND My Reply was about televison shows not about Md., De., or New Jersey shed hunting BUT you might also notice that in my reply I said "I bet there are some public places in this country where sheds are a little more plentiful but nothing like they show you on television."

ronn 03-19-2011 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BruceBruce1959 (Post 54064)
Ronn I wasn't even going to reply to your post but I think it's best for me to shine light on your misunderstanding to what I posted.

If you Re-read the "Quote" and then Re-read my "REPLY" to the quote you'll see that the Quote AND My Reply was about televison shows not about Md., De., or New Jersey shed hunting BUT you might also notice that in my reply I said "I bet there are some public places in this country where sheds are a little more plentiful but nothing like they show you on television."

but you lumped everyone that shows those truck loads of shed into a group that uses high fence and thats just not true, hence the half truth comment. thats why i named lee and tiffiny, the kiskeys and others, to show it as not a true statement on your part. then you started in hating on the "pros" saying they hunt behind fences. also not true or a half truth. then based on your bais you said it isn't real hunting. thats based on your definition of hunting but it isn't the only one that is relevant. these are your words. re-read your own post and look at objectively.

BruceBruce1959 03-20-2011 06:55 AM

As I recall, Everyone is entitled to their own opinions,
If you dont like my opinions just ignore them. :wallbash:

ronn 03-20-2011 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BruceBruce1959 (Post 54095)
As I recall, Everyone is entitled to their own opinions,
If you dont like my opinions just ignore them. :wallbash:

this is the last i'll say on the mater.

opinions are one thing, you know what they say about them, but you stated it as a fact that all these truck loads of sheds comes from fence in areas which is not a true statement. then you took the time based on an untrue statement to belittle another hunter. so i called you on it. and i will call anyone on it if they trash another hunter pursuing his legal pursuits.