Shed hunting techniques - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > Other Hunting Topics > Shed Hunting
Shed Hunting Show us your latest find and teach us your tricks to finding sheds here!

Old 03-20-2011, 08:04 AM
ronn

back on topic

the more i think about it tator.

seeing we don't have the deer pop to make finding sheds at least a little better, i do know that there is an island on the lake that use to have lots of deer on it and the boy scouts use to go pick up sheds here in nh. hunting is allowed there now so i'm not sure of the deer pop now.

the guys in md, del, and jeresy, find most of there sheds on properties that hunting isn't allowed. parks, areas of dense housing, and many people don't allow hunting deer but don't have a problem with people looking for sheds. or on QDMA properties just like the properties the pros find their sheds on.

then there are the pro's places, like lee and tiffany's, the kiskey's, and the drury's farms. which are sanctuaries and the deer will stay there, not need to, or want to leave.

the common thread here is areas that are protected form hunting, which the deer will find.

do you have any places like that in your area that you can gain access to?

Last edited by ronn; 03-20-2011 at 08:23 AM.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2011, 10:54 AM
B&C 180 Class

Yeah, I have about 50 acres of woods that I didn't hunt this year b/c it has a 2 creeks that completely incircle it and we had a wet fall (creeks were up). The only bad thing is, my father-in-law had alot of logging done in there this winter and now there are tree tops and branches EVERYWHERE. Makes shed hunting next to impossible.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:25 PM
ronn

Quote:
Originally Posted by tator View Post
Yeah, I have about 50 acres of woods that I didn't hunt this year b/c it has a 2 creeks that completely incircle it and we had a wet fall (creeks were up). The only bad thing is, my father-in-law had alot of logging done in there this winter and now there are tree tops and branches EVERYWHERE. Makes shed hunting next to impossible.
ok i'll bet thats where you will find sheds for 2 reasons. one, no pressure could easlily put the deer in there, and two, a great deer call is a chain saw. they WILL find those tops and eat them. could have been their prime food source this past winter.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 08:28 AM
B&C 180 Class

Wish I could catch a good time on the weekend to go.... with the weather getting warmer seems like I've been constantly on the go or working outside at the house.