Deer Hunting Forums banner

project 700

5K views 23 replies 6 participants last post by  Hunting Man 
#1 ·
In 2000 following the death of my brother, I received his Remington model 700. The rifle probably dates back to the late 70's. Unfortunately the stock had been cut short. I'm going to look for a new stock and scope to bring it back to a user friendly condition. It's in 30-06 cal, clean bore and nearly 95% metal condition. I started looking on e-bay but am undecided as to what stock to put on it. It's also an ADL model, no bottom shell eject gate. Another project but a worthy one to me. Someday I hope his son wants his Dad's guns back, so far at age 30, he hasn't shown any interest to date, we'll see.

#2 ·
Have you checked for a replacement at Midway???

What you are doing is really cool for your nephew. I would check midway.com I thought that they offered fajen stocks as a drop in replacement. I just lost my Dad about a month ago and I am looking forward to getting his Remington 742 and Winchester M12 out for some range time when I get them up here from Florida. I know that he will be watching as will your brother when you get his M700 out for some fun.

Karl

#4 ·
He had some he never shot, I will fix that...

Over the last 5 years or so he aquired many new firearms but never got them out to the range for a workout. Hopefully I can break them in and have fun at the same time. My Grandpa's old side by side I am sure hasn't had a shell through in sense the mid 60s. I will address that and let my Sons fire a side by side at the same time.

Karl

#5 ·
My Dad's Browning sxs has never been fired. I struggle with, do I fired it or leave it as a storage queen. It certainly does no good just sitting there, however, the value would be affected if I shot it. This shotgun was given to my Dad for his retirement from the dealership he worked for. Not too many businesses are giving their employees guns at retirement these days. :lol: My Dad retired in 1988, how things have changed in so little time...

#10 ·
Barrel contour could end up being an issue

When you look at the Remington mountain rifle stock or the cdl they are releaved for a given barrel contour. You may need to have the stock inletted to get it to work with the current barreled action. That shouldn't be very hard to any real gunsmith.

Karl

#11 ·
Well I bid high :yucky: and won a very nice new Remington 700 BDL stock. Barrel contour should match. Photos show nice grain and figure. Should get it in about a week. Now for the new BDL floorplate......:confused: then the scope..... then a nice sling..... :rolleyes: I hope when the rifle is all done with it's makeover that my Brother looks down and gives a thumbs up.

#13 ·
Stock arrived, very very satisfied with it, seller was 100% accurate. Bidding on the floor plate now. This project is gonna be in the 500 range just doing a makeover. Ouch!!! I probably will only sight it in and put it in the vault but maybe my nephew will see the effort/value in his Dad's rifle someday.

#14 ·
An old rule that I just made up...

It is good for a rifle to get out shooting atleast once a year. This rule will be even better for the owner of the rifle. So for those with a safe full of nice rifles you have a date with each at least once a year. Better make up a spread sheet so you don't forget any of them. They all deserve to dance at the range...... This old rule, that I just made up also applies to your shotguns and your handguns.... Boy being a King would have been fun...

Karl

#16 ·
I bid on and won a floorplate with a boxed magazine. Started with an ADL and now a BDL with magazine. Thoughts are now on how much scope to put on it. I have about 5 guns that need to go to the range for sight-ins I'll try to make it a one time event and ice the shoulder for a few hours later. :yucky:

#19 · (Edited)
Karl, I've never been much on recoil pads. If I have to add one it's usually a thin solid one. I prefer none though.To tell you the truth, I don't have a clue as to the current quality of the new redfield line. I might look for an old one as I do know their quality, second to none. We'll see, thanks for the thumbs up!

#20 ·
Checkout the midway website for user feedback

I have used one of the new Revolution series in a 2x7 and it is very nice. The midway site has alot of positive feedback on the new Oregon made Redfield line. The users that have bought them compare them to Leopold's VX2 line, most like them better than the VX1 line. With the VX2s costing a lot more no wonder these are popular scopes. Also they are American made and that tips the scale for alot of shooters when comparing them to the Nikons at the same pricepoint.

Karl

#22 ·
Got the new boxed Magazine installed, perfect fit. The old ADL has had an extreme makeover now is re-born to a BDL boxed magazine Remington Model 700 30-06. I'd like to think my brother would be proud of his new rifle. I hope my nephew can get to use it and someday take full ownership. We'll see. It has been a good feeling to do something like this, I only wish... well you know.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.