New Hunter needing help - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Rifle Hunting
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

Old 08-28-2012, 06:56 PM
Scrub Buck

Default New Hunter needing help

Hey. I have hunted squirrel and little things before but always wanted to deer hunt. Honestly just haven't had the oppurtunity. One lady i work with has a good bit of land and is going to let me use it this year for deer hunting. Has nice little pond on land that i have heard from many ppl that deer have been spotted there. She says the land hasn't been hunted in years. I have no idea how to scout the land and what i am even looking for.

I also do not know what to do about feed/plots. When do they need to be out and things like that. I would love to kill a deer this first year but not going to say its a must since i am new to the whole thing. Any ideas/input that you have would be appreciated. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2012, 07:47 PM
B&C 120 Class

You are lucky to have a place like that for your first deer hunt.I would walk the property starting now and look for the largest deer trails.Try to find a place to watch those trails morning or evening.Pay attention to the wind and don't sit where your scent will blow across the trail.I hunt on the ground, but you may want to use an elevated stand/tree stand.Try to keep your shots under 100 yards and if your rifle is sighted in for 100 yards you should be good.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:28 PM
Unregistered

Thanks for your info. When should i start putting out food plot/feeders. I wanted to go ahead and start the process if that was something i needed to do
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:53 PM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Thanks for your info. When should i start putting out food plot/feeders. I wanted to go ahead and start the process if that was something i needed to do
Go ahead and put a feeder out and a trail cam or two. As for plots I dont know how your states growing season is,but here if they aint already in and comming up good already its to late
Old 08-29-2012, 02:46 AM
B&C 120 Class

In PA we are not allowed to bait deer so I don't try to attract them to a feeder.I try to find their travel routes to and from bedding and feeding areas.Then I set up along those trails usually about 50 to 75 yards away.
Old 08-29-2012, 04:36 PM
B&C 140 Class

Default Welcome to Deer hunting

A couple of things you need to do getting started.

1. Have you completed a hunter safety course in the State you are going to hunt. Check if you haven't you may need to take it.

2. People are reporting the Deer are already there. Worry less about attracting them and more about learning as much as you can about her land. Access roads for you to use to drive in, basic topography of the land- ridges, swamps, tree lines, fence rows, adjancent properties.

3. After you are comfortable walking around in her land bring a packed backpack and start spending time just sitting and watching. Deer tamp down the grass and brush and will make trails that look like bike trails. You want to spend time just sitting there and watching.

4. The more time you spend in the woods the more sounds you will start hearing. Something like 90% of hunting is sitting and trying to not move or make any sounds.

5. This is what I really like about Deer Hunting- Selecting your Deer Rifle and getting it ready. This forum is loaded with Shooters/Hunters that love going to the range and preparing for the shot at a Whitetail. If you don't already have a rifle you will get alot of suggestions. If you have one to use we can point out some items you can work on to get yourself ready.

Karl
Old 08-30-2012, 04:11 PM
B&C 160 Class

All good advice right there. Use this place to develop you skills as a hunter, don't be in a hurry and only shoot within your skill. You will never regret not taking a bad shot but will always regret one you souldn't have taken that goes badly.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:45 AM
Scrub Buck

Watch The pond Deer like the water source for drinking. enjoy your hunt and be safe.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:52 AM
B&C 100 Class

Karl.Luhr said, "5. This is what I really like about Deer Hunting- Selecting your Deer Rifle and getting it ready."

I'm glad someone mentioned the "gun." Depending on the Laws in your State about Private Land hunting, you may want to be sure that the gun you intend to use, is allowed. (For example, here in CT, I can't use my 45/70 UNLESS I'm on Private Land, with at least 100 Acres - I believe it reads).

Another thing, since you didn't mention your gun, is the accuracy factor. I presume you have been zeroing it in, so you can get a clean kill?

I'm assuming also, since you didn't mention it, that you have all your gear together? I'm gonna suggest (I am a rookie as well, but I think this valid) that you make sure you have a First Aid kit in your bag; some plastic surgical gloves, a compass, a good pair of binoculars, a good knife or two for skinning and gutting, a good set of boots for the woods, etc.........the idea here........take inventory before you go out and wish you had something with you that you don't.

-Soupy1957
Old 11-16-2012, 11:10 AM
B&C 180 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupy1957 View Post
take inventory before you go out and wish you had something with you that you don't.-Soupy1957

Exactly what soupy said. I hate getting to the field and forgetting to have something to eat/drink. That always bites.