300 Yards a long hard to make shot??? - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Rifle Hunting
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

Old 08-24-2012, 03:40 PM
takiniteasy

Default 300 Yards a long hard to make shot???

I am new to hunting, and by new I mean I have never been on a hunt and I do not know any hunters, I have just started watching hunting shows and videos online. I was a sniper in the Army, and the Army was the first time I had ever handled any type of wepon, so it is all I know when it comes to shooting. That said on most of the shows I have seen about hunting the guys say stuff like " I would like to get closer than this" or " this is going to be hard at 300 yards". Now as a marksman in the Army those were super easy shots for us< is there someting I am missing here? Is it just the caliber of ammo being used? I used what amounts to the .223 and the 308 most of the time. Any info would be appreciated?

Last edited by Unregistered; 08-24-2012 at 03:50 PM.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2012, 04:35 PM
B&C 140 Class

Default My thoughts on a 300 yard shot on Deer/Elk

Thank you for your service to the Country. Shooting a game animal is in my opinion a different world then hitting a siloette on the range. Combat is another story, and I am not qualified to compare hunting to Combat. I do know that as Rifleman/Hunters we owe it to the animals we are hunting to not wound them. We should only take a shot that we feel confident is a killing shot so the animal does not suffer. We are always taught to think of the kill zone on a Deer to be a pie plate. If you aren't able to hit a pie plate everytime at the range standing from 200 yards away, don't shoot at Deer 200 yards away standing. You find a rest or just get closer to the animal. Obviously it is harder to hit what you are shooting at if the range is 300 yards rather than 200 yards. That is why most Rifleman/Hunters really shouldn't be shooting at animals 300 yards away. Thank you again for your service to the Country.

Karl
Old 08-24-2012, 04:38 PM
B&C 140 Class

Karl says it all. Most hunters do not practice as rigorously and repeatedly as Army snipers or any other professional. We try to go to the range often, and mostly we shoot from bags on solid tabletop rests. Field conditions are a whole different matter. And for the average hunter, 300 yards is a long way away.
Old 08-24-2012, 05:16 PM

I too wish to thank you for your service for all of us! For hunting, we like to think of groups, 1"@ 100 yds, 2"@200 yds. 300 yds should be fairly within most hunters ability to effectively kill a game animal using quality glass and sufficient caliber. 270, 30-06, 308, 280 and above will work and beyond with reasonable practice. You're use to 308 nso I'd start there.
Old 08-24-2012, 05:32 PM
B&C 140 Class

Default A note about Public Rifle ranges should be made..

I would bet that most of us don't have access to a Rifle range that provides us with over 200 yard shooting. The Military ranges are fantastic and I love shooting at them but they are not available to everyone. I have access to a great gunclub here in MN, we are fortunate to have a very nice separate 200 yard range. I think we are the only one around for probibly an hour drive that the public has access to. I would hope that hunters don't make a habbit of shooting at a distance that they haven't actually practiced at. I have hunted out west and it is very easy to be offered a long shot. The problem is that it better not be the first time a shooter is firing at that distance. The animal deserves better....

Karl
Old 08-24-2012, 09:38 PM
takiniteasy

Thanks for the replys and what you guys have said makes a lot of sense. I guess shooting thousands of rounds per month is hard for the average Joe. I hope to go hunting some day and I just want to make sure I know what I am doing. Again thaks.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 12:34 AM
B&C 140 Class

to shoot the number of rounds that you do would put us in the poor house"$43/box",and being already there enough said there. anyway after my rifle is sighted in a box of ammo "20rds" will last me 2-3 seasond depending on success. IMO most of us dont have access to the quality of scopes a military sniper would have. IMO a 3x9x40 after 200yds is not enough. I wish I had the optics yall get to use. also Thanks for your service to our great nation.

Last edited by Hellbilly; 08-26-2012 at 12:36 AM.
Old 08-26-2012, 01:28 PM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellbilly View Post
IMO most of us dont have access to the quality of scopes a military sniper would have. IMO a 3x9x40 after 200yds is not enough.
I was consistently hitting crows the other day with my Leupold VX-II set at 9 power at 200+ yards on a 223. I'd want a bigger scope if I was going to shoot at 350+ yards.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:05 PM
B&C 160 Class

Thank You for your service also.I think your grouping your skills with a sportmans and there worlds apart.The average hunter sometimes takes his rifle out 2 wks before the season and checks to see if his gun is on.You are highly trained in how to execute the shot.They have no idea how you focus,breathe,hold,& set off the trigger.IMHO the average hunter has no business taking a 300 yard shot unless he has put in his range time.Once again your skills are like a PGA pro to a weekend golfer(big difference).Thanks again for your service.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:20 AM
B&C 120 Class

Default Shooting at Deer

I have hunted deer for 45 years.I have taken more than 60.I hunt woods and fields.Most of the deer were shot in the woods at less than 100 yards.My longest attempt and kill shot was 270 yards uphill in a meadow.My second longest kill shot was 180 yards downhill in the same meadow.They were both adult deer about 150 lbs taken with a .243.In my early years I took 16 with a 30-30 at ranges up to 150 yards.You should have no problem.