Deer Hunting Forums banner

New Deer Rifle - Looking To Be Educated

8K views 28 replies 11 participants last post by  WonderMonkey 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello all. I've done some side jobs and I'm going to get a new rifle/scope with the money.

I hunt white tail deer in "sort of" Northern Kentucky. This area of land has moderate hills. The lease we have contains a combination of standard woods, thick brush, cleared power lines, and the occasional open field. The multi-purpose rifle I have my eye on is the Remington 700, Stainless barrel in .308 caliber. All this is up for debate and change but that's my starting point. The base version of the Rem 700 Stainless .308 is around $650 I think.

I'm willing to put my money into just the rifle and put on a cheaper scope that I already have and put on a nicer scope next year. I know I won't get full value out of rifle in year 1 with a cheaper scope but in the end I'll have what I want instead of having to go cheaper on the rifle.

I will have about $1000 to spend but I don't want to buy a rifle just to use all that money meaning I don't want to spend to my budget but rather find out what I want and hope it is within budget.

Question: Do you agree with the Remington 700 and in a .308 caliber? If not what do you suggest? I started with it because it is all I really know... two of my hunting buddies have one and like it.

With whatever base rifle you suggest would you get the cheapest stock then upgrade with an aftermarket?

See less See more
#2 ·
Go with what feels right in your hands...

I think that you have a solid plan inplace. Get a quality rifle this year next year buy a new quality scope for it. If you have the 1000.xx to spend you could get both this year. A good scope will cost around 150-200 dollars. A high qualitity rifle will cost around 600-650. Very good entry level models start at around 300.

You already like the Rem SPS stainless M700, that is a very nice rifle and the 308 Win is a sound calibre. There really is no difference to the animal at normal ranges whether you use the 270 Win, 280 Rem, 308 Win, or 30-06. Some will argue why one is better than others but from 0-200 yards they all perform stellar. The short action choices like the 308 Win or 7mm-08 will be placed in a shorter action (1/2 inch). The short actions usually weigh about 1/4# less.

I would go to a gunshop with a large selection of different Manufactures of bolt action rifles. It will be easy to have 1/2 dozen different rifles to choose from that are at the same price point.

Try to get it down to 2 or 3 choices then go online and do your homework. Finally take the one that you want to have at you side for the rest of your life. In the end you will make the right choice.

Karl

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I certainly will go with what feels good but I'd certainly like to have a base of generally accepted rifles to start with.

Once I narrow things down I will go online to look at prices but if I go to a local place to try them out I'll buy from them. I'll check THEIR prices before I pick one up because if they are way pricey I won't bother.

As for the stock would you go the basic cheap one and then upgrade to the free floating, glass block, etc? I don't know if Remington has one off the shelf that people feel good about in that area. There are so many choices my head swims when I start comparing.

#6 ·
My thoughts on various bolt guns

This is a Chevy, Ford, Dodge thing but here goes...

Stainless is really cool, but most hunters don't let their rifles rust. A stainless barrel will outlast a blued one but it is going to take more shots than most of us would ever fire through it.

Walnut wood stocks are the best for looks. Synthetic stocks are the most durable against abuse. Laminated are as stable as Synthetic and feel like wood because they are. The laminates are the heaviest of the stock choices.

I really like the quality of the Winchester M70. The M70 action is one all the others is compared to. I also like the featherweight contour of the barrel used on the Featherweight model. The new M70s have the controlled round claw action. The one I have had for about 30 years is their older push feed action. The safety is three position and the trigger on the M70 is a good one. The newest ones have an improved one.

The Remington M700 is a really good action. The Marines went with the Remington M700 in the late 60s inplace of the Win M70 due to Winchester having some business issues. I personally like the stock design of the Mountain rifle and also their new CDL version. Some shooters complain about the fact this a push feed action, I personally think the whole push/controlled argument is overrated. The M700 has always had a good trigger, they also have improved their trigger now being used.

The Ruger M77 is Bill Rugers answer to when Winchester changed the M70 in 1964. The Ruger has built in scope mounts which are part of the action. The original M77s had a tang mounted safety the newer style M77s have a three position thumb safety. My Son just bought a new M77 Hawkeye in 30-06 that we are excited about shooting. It is a very nice rifle.

The Savage 110s are very accurate. They have a multiple piece bolt compared to the others that are either machined as one piece or welded together. Savage uses a barrel nut attachment system that allows the rifles to be very accurate and consistant. They offer a new style trigger system that is safe and allows for a very light trigger pull. I don't find the Savages as smooth an action when working them and they are not as attractive for me when I compare them to the competition.

Browning A or X bolts, these are popular. One of my buddies has an A bolt and it is accurate. The X bolt is suppose to be an improved version.

Weatherby Vangards are Weatherby's entry level rifles made for them by Howa in Japan. These are old school push feed actions with a one piece bolt. The only negitive I have for these is they tend to be long with a 24 inch barrel, and are also on the heavy side.

I hope these observations from me help to get you noticing their little differences when you start comparing them in the store.

Karl

#8 ·
As far as caliber goes the 308 is perfect. Deliberations beyond that are entirely theoretical.

Will not go wrong with a Remington Model 700. For deer hunting there is doubtfully any measured advantage to the multitude of other choices.

I personally like wood.... although many will argue that synthetic/camo etc is more practical for hunting. Regardless, I still enjoy a rifle that looks good and frankly the synthetics have no visual appeal to me what so ever.

Finally, as has been mentioned on this forum many times, don't skimp on the optics. As Karl says, for $1000 you could have it all, as quality scopes these days are very affordable - $150-300.

Good luck. The days are getting shorter, the leaves are subtly beginning to turn.... the season is upon us!

#9 ·
I'm a wood guy also! The Remington model 700 Mountain rifle is dollar for dollar one of the very best ever, period. If I was honest, I would have to rate my Mountain rifle above everything else in the vault. I have stuff much higher in value but if I had to rely on just one it would be the mountain rifle. Mine is in 270 win. Pre 64 Winchesters in model 70 may rate slightly higher but it's the generation right before me that truly knew how near perfect it was. I now have one in 243 and have not gotten to the range yet to compare to the mountain rifle. To me I'd put my money in a good used rifle than most of the new budget rifles currently being produced. I'm talking up to $500.00 I think Browning A & X bolts are great rifles but price is above the $500 mark.

#12 ·
Rem. .308

I bought a Remington .308 model 7400 semi synthetic stock. It held i think 4 in the clip and one in the barrel. I always had the problem of it not being able to cycle through rounds without jamming. I kept it real clean,tried different clips including a ten round after market clip,tried reloads,Whinchesters,Military issue rounds and they would all jam. I eventually sold it after having it jam on me when I needed it most on the deer of a life time. I almost smashed it over a rock but I informed the new buyer of the issue and he still wanted it. I also found a lot of people with the same problem on reviews for this model. Just a heads up.

#13 ·
Without going into great detail and a lot of typing, I'll just say the .30-06 offers the largest selection of Ammunition ranging from Varmint loads to Big Game cartridges.
As far as Rifle Brands Go, I think I'd go with a Ruger, the M77 has proven to be a great success and helped establish a great reputation for the Ruger company.
Are there other brand rifles just as good? Yes
are other calibers just as good as the .30-06? Yes

I suggested the .30-06 caliber and the Ruger Brand simply becuse of their proven reputations and nothing else.
Good Luck and Best wishes on which ever Choice!

#14 ·
My newest rifle is a Ruger M77 in .243.Its stainless/laminated.Its my back up rifle for wet weather when I don't want to take my Model 70 Winchester out.I've taken 2 deer with it so far and really like it.If your going to hunt in bad weather you might think about it.

#20 ·
Can't a fella have a few secrets? No, that wouldn't be any fun, would it?

I went with the Remington SPS SS .308. That is the basic synthetic stock and stainless. Did I NEED the stainless? Heck no, but I WANTED it, which is key. I may (but probably not) upgrade to an aftermarket stock in a few years but really I don't think I'll really NEED (there is that word again) to.

As for scopes I think I'll go with the Nikon Buckmaster. I have one on my ProHunter shotgun (3x9x40) and my brother has one (4.5x14.x40) on his 30-06. I found a few alternatives but I will probably just stick with what I know. I plan on sighting it in this weekend so I'll be choosing soon.

Thanks to all in this forum who helped talk me through this. It's more agonizing than most other choices in my life.

#22 ·
Don't pass on the Redfields without checking them out

I talked a friend into buying one of the new Redfield 2x7 scopes for his Marlin XL7 he was putting together. He ended up being very happy with it. I would compare the Nikon and the Redfield and pick the one you like best. Their pricepoints will be close together. Redfields are made in Leopold's Oregon factory. They have a lifetime warrantee not that you will need it.
Does your SPS have a 22 inch or a 24 inch barrel? I think that they are putting 24 inch ones on the SPS, just curious... I saw a guy with a new SPS stainless in 308 last fall at the hunter sight-in. It was a great shooter.

Karl

#23 ·
24" barrel. I'll have both the Bushmaster and Redfield (the other one I was looking at) in hand before I lay the cash down so it will come down to what I feel at that time but if I can't decide it will be the bushmaster.

Not all Redfields are made in Oregon. The Revolutions are which is the one you are referring to (I think) but the Revenge is (or was at one point) made in the Philippines.

#24 ·
Redfield scopes of the past were second to none, in fact they were the scope to be judged against. Leupold has by all measures has become the scope to be judged against. With that said, due to cost only, I have purchased a couple of Pentax scopes recently to install on rifles that needed a low budget scope and so far they have been exactly what I wanted for these projects. I think in the new mid-price range, 200-300, I would go to the Leupold line and know that the money was well spent. Burris makes a fine scope, pricey, but pretty good. I have also purchased a couple of the old Denver Redfield scopes that were used on e-bay between $100-160.00 knowing I was getting one heck of a good scope. Never overlook quality on the used market, sometimes the money spent will prove to be a great investment. Just like great old cars some things don't get better being new/modern. Go on e-bay and look at scopes and what's available you'll find great scopes at good prices, just do your homework. Don't get me wrong if I had a $1000.00 to spend on a scope that's where quality really begins, but most of us are not in that purchasing boat.

#25 ·
For deer any thing will work just know what it will do and how good you can shoot in hunting conditions..243-25 06-270 or 30 cal. and up for elk size game.IMO. the previous 3 have about the same drop 308 and 30 06 a little more. 243 best for south deer size game- 25 06 $$ and harder to find a round your gun likes- 270 if not to much kick for you a flat shooting hard hitting and a little over kill energy out to 500 yrds... 243 energy out to 300 yrds more than anyone should be shooting and asking cal. gun ???? but you cant go wrong get what makes you smile.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.