Deer Hunting Forums

Deer Hunting Forums (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/)
-   Rifle Hunting (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/rifle-hunting/)
-   -   Looking to buy a new rifle need some info! (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/rifle-hunting/9890-looking-buy-new-rifle-need-some-info.html)

xXbrooksXx 08-16-2012 11:43 AM

Looking to buy a new rifle need some info!

I'm looking to getting a new rifle this year in a .308 cal. Nothing really extravagant I was looking at a few different rifles that are in my price range

1. Marlin Model X7VH
2. Stevens 200
3. Remington 770
4. Savage Axis

Any advice would be great thanks.

Scorpion8 08-16-2012 03:50 PM

Please discuss: "Why those"? The .308 is a great round that can be found in a very large number of choices. Unless we know what you're thinking and why, we can offer any number of our favorites or possible choices.

Hunting Man 08-16-2012 04:29 PM

I always ask why low budget new when the market is full of better rifles in the used market for about the same money.

xXbrooksXx 08-16-2012 04:52 PM

Well I honestly my my father has given me a bunch of .308 rounds that he doesn't want. He's got rid of his rifles in that cal. so they are no good to him. I know they're are some good used guns out there but I can't afford to drop 500-600 bucks on a GREAT used gun. This would be my first rifle in the .308 cal and I'm looking for a fairly good low end new gun.

Hunting Man 08-16-2012 05:00 PM

OK, same question, why are you set on a new low end rifle? You will spend nearly the same money on a new budget rifle, and that's all you are getting or you can shop around the gun shows, online auctions and get a really nice used rifle that will hold it's value better. Just my thoughts as I don't see much out there in the budget market for new rifles that I would want to spend my hard earned money on. Firearms are pretty much what you spend=what you get. Be patient and study all the factory offerings and make your choise. 308 is a perfect all around round. Good luck!

xXbrooksXx 08-16-2012 06:39 PM

I've never bought a gun online so I'm a little clueless on that end. What are some good places to look? I mean I have no problem buying a great gun used if it is in my price range.

thanks

Karl.Luhr 08-16-2012 09:08 PM

My thoughts on your current list of choices...

1.I have some experience on the Marlin XL7s I really like them having setup and shot two both in 30-06.
2.I really dislike the Remington M770, this rifle was made for a price point and is crap. The Remington M700s and Model 7s are great stay away from M710s or M770s.
3.The Savage Axis is another made for a pricepoint rifle. Pass on this one. The Savage/Stephens 200 is also entry level, but a much better rifle from the same Company.

If I had only 300.xx to spend on a 308 Win I would be buying the Marlin XS7 in 308. Ruger now offers the Ruger American bolt action, but I am not sure if it is available yet in 308.

A rifle will last generations don't be in a hurry to buy it, choose carefully.

Karl

Hunting Man 08-16-2012 10:10 PM

Log onto Gun Broker.com or Auction Arms .com and enjoy looking and getting to know online prices.

WisconsinDeer 08-16-2012 10:26 PM

I'd seriously look into the Ruger American rifle with that budget if I were you.

I've owned a Stevens 200, it is also a great rifle. Same as a Savage 110, just without a detachable magazine.

The Marlin X7 is also a good rifle.

I wouldn't even consider the Remington 770 and Savage Axis.

Hellbilly 08-16-2012 11:09 PM

PLEASE do NOT get the 770. I had one and almost gave it away to get it out of my house. This is the first time I have ever admited to ever owning one. They need to scrap that model:yucky::thumbdown::thumbdown: