Deer Hunting Forums banner

Weatherby or Savagr

5K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  WisconsinDeer 
#1 ·
I had to off load a Kimber 8400 in 30-06 to pay some bills and now need to replace it for the new season. I am looking at all weather modles from Weatherby and Savage. I think I will stay with the 30-06 round because of the versatility. Althought I would like info on the 257 Weatherby Mag. I live in North Florida and the deer arnt big and shots arnt long. I do have a friend in Colorido and might have to take a shot at a elk some time. Also I have seen some interest in the 280 REM and would like to know how it stacks up with the 06. I have a open mind and would like to see what you guys have to say. By the way hello and Im glad to be on your site. The Kimber was a tack driver and deer slayer, I need to have another gun that will do as good at a lower price. Thanks FL

#2 ·
My thoughts are why not be slightly different. The 30-06 is like a model T Ford, everyone has one it runs all day and gets the job done. I have a couple of 30-06 rifles and have no problems grabbing one to hunt with. However, why not venture with being a little differnt than the neighbor? Weatherby in 280 would serve you well and take anything in the USA except the big bears. Savage has a good name for accuracy but leaves much to the eye for dull mulldane looks and will not hold their value over the years, compared to other makes. Even the old 270 win might be a slightly better choise for you doing most of your hunting in Florida. Their are plenty of other makes out their that would fill your needs. Another option would be to locate a nice used rifle like a Remington mountain rifle, these are hard to beat. Thinking outside the box can be a rewarding experience! Purchasing a new rifle should be a fun experience and after doing all your homework you will find which rifle meets your current needs. Good luck!

#3 ·
model T

YES THE 06 is like a model T. It is the caliber that most non mag rounds are compared to, and most were made from. After saying that I am interested in the 280 and would like to hear the advantages of this round. I do think the Weatherby has better looks but I am more interested in the performance of the gun.

#4 ·
Sorry about having to dump the Kimber i own one in 300wsm.I owned a Weatherby Accumark in 270 weatherby mag and now own 2 Savages.I was very disappointed in the Weatherby and their known for poor accuracy.Im not happy with 1.5 grps at 100 yds for that money.Savage makes a far superior rifle except in fit and finish.The Savage starting at the low end to their top of line will outshoot the Weatherby out of the box.Now the Weatherby will look prettier but the Savage has the better trigger in the accutrigger.Savage is not the low end gun it used to be and for the cost of the Weatherby their are far superior rifles for a lot less.I.E.Tikka,Sako,Thompson.Remember only accurate rifles are interesting.IMHO Weatherby are way over priced and only an average rifle.I would go 30/06 for a one gun battery.

#6 ·
Hunting Man and I are big 280 fans. I have killed more game with it than I can count - everything from small pronghorns to big bull elk - it's another round (like the 30/06) that does it all... but it is an overlooked caliber, to be sure. All of the other rounds mentioned are more than adequate for your needs. As for an all-weather rifle, which you said you wanted - take a look at a Tikka T3 Lite (stainless/synthetic). I bought one just to see if it were as good as everyone had said. It was! Guaranteed to shoot one inch groups at 100 yards. It does! And it is less expensive than most of the rifles mentioned, and comes with scope rings. Good luck.

#7 ·
Well all three 270 WM's of mine will shoot 1" groups all day at 100 yds and better with a superior rest. I give the Savage trigger a nod. However, with top weatherby's at near $1400.00 it's not for everyone. Purchase what you can afford and put as much towards a nice scope as you can. If you can tell I'm not a big Savage fan allthough I haven't purchased any of their more modern models. I'd still put my money in a really nice used Remington mountain rifle before I'd buy a new Savage, just my preference.

#8 ·
Not the Mark V

I am getting alot of response about the Weatherby being expensive. I am looking at the new Vanguard S2 which lists under $600.00. All the reviews have been really good and it seems the trigger is great. I will look at the Teka T3 and I am also looking at the Remington XCR.

#10 ·
There are Weatherbys and there are Vanguards

There are two types of Weatherby rifles. Weatherby Mark Vs and Vanguards. The Weatherby Mark Vs are made to Weatherby specs and feature the 6 or 9 lug Weatherby action. The Weatherby Vanguards are made for Weatherby by Howa of Japan. The Company Howa also makes and sells rifles under their own name of Howa. I think that the Smith and Wesson rifles offered at one time were also made for them by Howa but I could be wrong on that one. I am a fan of the 30-06 for hunting Elk and Deer. The 280 Rem is just as good on both, just don't forget your ammo if you are using a 280 Rem. Savages are very accurate rifles and if you skip the cheapest version very nice. I agree with what others have said that they are probibly the least attractive compaired to Vanguards. The Vanguards have a 24 inch barrel and are a little heavier then the Savages that sport a 22 inch. I like the one piece bolt on the Vanguard over the multi-piece one on the Savage. Personally if I was spending my money on one of those two Vanguard or Savage 110, I would be bringing home a Vanguard. Not to cloudy the waters but I would look at the Marlin XL7 prior to buying either the Vanguard or Savage 110. I would avoid the pure entry model Savage Axis.

Karl

#11 ·
My Weatherby rifles are all Mark v models. I don't own a Vangard model. I believe the Vangards are pretty good rifles for the money but not up to the Mark V series. One thing I always look at is resale value even if my intention is not to ever sell it. Sometimes we change our minds and invest in something different. I would want to know which rifle dollar for dollar spent would give me the best resale value if all else is equal.

#12 ·
I love my M77 Ruger .270 & would not trade it in for anything.
with that said look at the new Ruger American it is available in .243, .308, .270 & 30-06 & has a suggested retail of $449.00 I purchased one in .308 for my daughters & will group as good as my M77

#13 ·
The Savage is one of the best shooting guns out there and hands down the best in their price range. They may not be the prettiest gun out there but I prefer to shoot them than look at them. As for the caliber I would probably stay with the 06. It is a versatile round and easy to find plus its a .308 bullet so you have the widest selection of bullets of any cal out there. The only other cartridge I would look at would be the 308 win. Unless your shooting bullets over 165gr, your ballistics are virtually identical to the 06 and you get a short action. Out of my savage 10 I am shooting a 165gr hornday sst at 2770-2780fps with a clean barrel. The 257 and 280 are both great rounds and I do love the ballistics on them but I do tend to shy away from less popular rounds due to occasional availability issues. I also strongly lean to 30 cal rifles because of bullet availability for reloading. Go with the Savage and stay with the 06 unless you just want a different round and if so go with the 308

#14 ·
Other actions

Of your shots are relatively close you could go with a remington 7600 or a Remington 750 semi. They are both very reliable rifle ( I own a 7600 ) and the camp owner I deer hunt with uses a 750 semi and it has never failed him. ( he shoots alot of deer!!) maybe u will need a quick second shot and both these rifles will do that! And deffinitly the 30-06!!! :yes:

#15 ·
Of your shots are relatively close you could go with a remington 7600 or a Remington 750 semi. They are both very reliable rifle ( I own a 7600 ) and the camp owner I deer hunt with uses a 750 semi and it has never failed him. ( he shoots alot of deer!!) maybe u will need a quick second shot and both these rifles will do that! And deffinitly the 30-06!!! :yes:
An AR style rifle would be better if one were to go the semi auto route (about the same price range too). I don't know about the newer Rem 750s, but the older variants were definitely not built to last.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.