Weatherby or Savagr - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Rifle Hunting
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

Old 08-06-2012, 07:29 PM

My Weatherby rifles are all Mark v models. I don't own a Vangard model. I believe the Vangards are pretty good rifles for the money but not up to the Mark V series. One thing I always look at is resale value even if my intention is not to ever sell it. Sometimes we change our minds and invest in something different. I would want to know which rifle dollar for dollar spent would give me the best resale value if all else is equal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2012, 05:10 AM

I love my M77 Ruger .270 & would not trade it in for anything.
with that said look at the new Ruger American it is available in .243, .308, .270 & 30-06 & has a suggested retail of $449.00 I purchased one in .308 for my daughters & will group as good as my M77

"If George Washington was asked for his I.D. do you think he just wipped out a quarter?"
Steven Wright
Old 08-08-2012, 11:21 AM
Scrub Buck

The Savage is one of the best shooting guns out there and hands down the best in their price range. They may not be the prettiest gun out there but I prefer to shoot them than look at them. As for the caliber I would probably stay with the 06. It is a versatile round and easy to find plus its a .308 bullet so you have the widest selection of bullets of any cal out there. The only other cartridge I would look at would be the 308 win. Unless your shooting bullets over 165gr, your ballistics are virtually identical to the 06 and you get a short action. Out of my savage 10 I am shooting a 165gr hornday sst at 2770-2780fps with a clean barrel. The 257 and 280 are both great rounds and I do love the ballistics on them but I do tend to shy away from less popular rounds due to occasional availability issues. I also strongly lean to 30 cal rifles because of bullet availability for reloading. Go with the Savage and stay with the 06 unless you just want a different round and if so go with the 308
Old 08-09-2012, 12:13 AM
B&C 100 Class

Default Other actions

Of your shots are relatively close you could go with a remington 7600 or a Remington 750 semi. They are both very reliable rifle ( I own a 7600 ) and the camp owner I deer hunt with uses a 750 semi and it has never failed him. ( he shoots alot of deer!!) maybe u will need a quick second shot and both these rifles will do that! And deffinitly the 30-06!!!
Old 08-09-2012, 01:54 AM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart1516 View Post
Of your shots are relatively close you could go with a remington 7600 or a Remington 750 semi. They are both very reliable rifle ( I own a 7600 ) and the camp owner I deer hunt with uses a 750 semi and it has never failed him. ( he shoots alot of deer!!) maybe u will need a quick second shot and both these rifles will do that! And deffinitly the 30-06!!!
An AR style rifle would be better if one were to go the semi auto route (about the same price range too). I don't know about the newer Rem 750s, but the older variants were definitely not built to last.