Marlin Model 60-22 cal. Semi Auto - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Rifle Hunting
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

Old 07-03-2012, 11:14 AM
B&C 120 Class

Default Marlin Model 60-22 cal. Semi Auto

Anyone have a Marlin Model 60 .22 cal. semi auto or know someone who does?? My son-in-law wants to get one and asked my opinion on this gun, but seeing as the last .22 rifle I bought was 44 years ago I'm a little out of touch with the .22 offerings. Someone told him they jam all the time, I did some research and found that they've sold over 11 million of them since inception, so my counter was how can they be that bad with that number in circulation? The reviews I've found so far are pretty positive but I would appreciate anyone's input about this rifle. Thanks everyone!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2012, 11:56 AM
B&C 140 Class

I have a Marlin 60 and a Glenfield 60 (same gun). They are awesome guns and very, very rarely have a malfunction. Super easy to take apart for cleaning and a superbly accurate.

I have to warn you though, ever since Remington bought Marlin, the quality of these has went downhill a bit. If he gets one, check it over a little before buying. Make sure the crown isn't buggered up and things like that. When you get it home it might need a little smoothing out to get it running good, at least that's what I'm hearing about them.
Old 07-03-2012, 01:39 PM
B&C 120 Class

Thanks WD, good info, plus I had no idea that Remington bought out Marlin, although that doesn't surprise me too much.
Old 07-03-2012, 02:17 PM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomlightfield View Post
Thanks WD, good info, plus I had no idea that Remington bought out Marlin, although that doesn't surprise me too much.
Remington, Marlin, H&R, DPMS, Bushmaster and a few others are all owned by Freedom Group. Remingtons and Marlins are made in the same factory now though. Freedom Group has effectively ruined the reputation of the companies we've come to know and love.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:42 PM
B&C 140 Class

pick up an older model 60. I have 3 of them and they all run good. One of them I put many rds thru for many years and never cleaned it till a few months ago when it had a FTF.cleaned it up and good as new.If you can find a remington nylon and they dont want a arm and leg for it,there good ones also
Old 07-04-2012, 09:48 PM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellbilly View Post
pick up an older model 60. I have 3 of them and they all run good. One of them I put many rds thru for many years and never cleaned it till a few months ago when it had a FTF.cleaned it up and good as new.If you can find a remington nylon and they dont want a arm and leg for it,there good ones also
Picking up an older one is good advice. They can usually be found for $100-$130 at pawn shops and gun stores. I was at Cabelas today and they had a couple, didn't check the price. They also had some nice Nylon 66s. Two of them were $299 and one was $230. They looked like they were in really good condition too, and I could've swore I've seen them go for MUCH more on Gunbroker.
Old 07-04-2012, 11:24 PM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisconsinDeer View Post
Picking up an older one is good advice. They can usually be found for $100-$130 at pawn shops and gun stores. I was at Cabelas today and they had a couple, didn't check the price. They also had some nice Nylon 66s. Two of them were $299 and one was $230. They looked like they were in really good condition too, and I could've swore I've seen them go for MUCH more on Gunbroker.
that is good prices for the nylons. Ive seen them recently for $400-$600
Old 07-04-2012, 11:40 PM
B&C 120 Class

I bought a Marlin Model 60C (camoflage, tube magazine) for my son last Christmas. He loves it. He got very good with iron sights so we just added a scope. Its a little finicky about ammo, but so is my 10/22.