Remington Model 7 -vs- 700 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Rifle Hunting
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

Old 05-20-2012, 11:08 PM
B&C 120 Class

Default Remington Model 7 -vs- 700

I have never owned a Remington, but I consider myself a "Remington-man" in the same Winchester argument as Ford -vs- Chevy (the answer is Ford, and I do own one of those). But I've always been on the lookout for a nice 700, and have especially wanted a short-action Model 7 in a made-for-short action caliber like .243 Winchester or 7mm-08. All the good things said about the 700 .... do they carry to the Model 7? What changes, and what is the same? Trigger? School me (about the rifles, not the cartridges).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2012, 11:39 PM

I wish that I could add to your comparison question but I do not own a model 7. I have heard very good things about the model 7 and wouldn't mind having one in something light like a 260, 257, 7mm-08. I do own several Remington rifles, shotguns and believe that dollar for dollar they are some of the best products ever made. While most of my guns are older models I do not know of the newer cheap models currently being put out. The old model 700's simply couldn't be beat for the money. I still have my eye out for a 700 classic in 300 sav. The Remington 700 mountain rifles are a hunter's dream rifle.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:08 AM
B&C 120 Class

I did a little reading on field testing done with the Model 7, and the general concensus is "a great rifle with all the quality expected from Remington". The worst comment made was that the bolt was a touch sticky, that's not necessarily inherent but can be from a few different things. The most impressive attribute was the accuracy, one tester had 1" groups at 200 yds, and did it multiple times to make sure it wasn't a fluke. He was using the gun in 22-250. Also mentioned was the really good trigger, comes at 3.5 lbs and is adjustable 2 lbs up or down. All in all, impressive enough for me, and at about 6.5 lbs would be a great "haul around the mountains" gun.
PS: On another note, this months Outdoor Life magazine has a real good rifle review, included was the new Ruger American and it was rated as good as some rifles costing 3 times as much. Pretty impressive. I know GFDeputy loves the one(or ones) that he recently bought. Another really nice "affordable" rifle since they redid it is the Weatherby Vanguard 2. MSRP of $600, probably buy for around $525? Supposedly really smooth bolt, good trigger and super accurate.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:05 PM
B&C 140 Class

Default The Remington Model 7 and XP100 use the same action

The very accurate XP100 pistol has always used the same action as the Model 7. These are very good and quality actions. The Model 7 is lighter than the Model 700 short action due the rear of the action being smaller, even with the same bolt throw. The custom shop makes their full stock Manlicher using the Model 7 action, they would use the Model 700 short action for these custom guns if there was anything to be gained by it.

Karl
Old 05-21-2012, 08:40 PM
B&C 140 Class

Karl, I own and hunt with both a Rem. 700 Mountain Rifle in .280 Rem. and a Model Seven in 300 WSM. Both are wonderful shooters. I've had the mountain rifle forever and have elk, deer and antelope with it. A couple of years ago, I shot a one inch group with the Seven at 300 yards! Proabably just luck on my part, but, obviously, the gun is capable of it. I have noticed no diffeence in the function of these two rifles. Remington no longer makes the Seven in 300 WSM, but that's a pretty potent round (on both ends) coming out of such a lightish rifle. If your body type and size require a shorter LOP, and you like the short action design, get the Model Seven and don't give it another thought. It just can't be beat in .243, .308, 7mm/08, or any of the shorties. The only slight advantage to the Rem. 700 is that you might find more aftermarket products for it.

Last edited by onehorse; 05-21-2012 at 09:00 PM.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:07 PM
B&C 140 Class

Default The Remington Model 7 with a 22 inch barrel

I beleave it was only with the magnum loadings like you 300WSM but I did handle one in the store and liked the balance with the 22 inch barrel. The rifes felt much lighter with the 20 inch barrel versions. I think that Remington may have also changed the barrel contour between the normal short action cartridges w/20" and the short magnums w/22". It is a shame they didn't offer the 7mm-08 with a 22" barrel in the Model 7.

Karl
Old 05-21-2012, 10:36 PM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl.Luhr View Post
I beleave it was only with the magnum loadings like you 300WSM but I did handle one in the store and liked the balance with the 22 inch barrel. The rifes felt much lighter with the 20 inch barrel versions. I think that Remington may have also changed the barrel contour between the normal short action cartridges w/20" and the short magnums w/22". It is a shame they didn't offer the 7mm-08 with a 22" barrel in the Model 7.

Karl
I second that.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:42 PM
B&C 120 Class

Thanks all. A gun shop guy (why do we ever listen to "those guys"?) told me the Model 7 was discontinued, but Remington still shows it on their website. Perhaps he wanted me to belive that because he didn't have any and wanted me to buy what he had on the wall. I'm thinking a Model 7 in .308 or 7mm-08 is the perfect happy-birthday-to-me present later this summer.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:19 PM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion8 View Post
Thanks all. A gun shop guy (why do we ever listen to "those guys"?) told me the Model 7 was discontinued, but Remington still shows it on their website. Perhaps he wanted me to belive that because he didn't have any and wanted me to buy what he had on the wall. I'm thinking a Model 7 in .308 or 7mm-08 is the perfect happy-birthday-to-me present later this summer.

I'd pick the 7mm/08, but you won't be disappointed with that rifle in either of those calibers. Good luck!
Old 05-24-2012, 06:12 PM
B&C 140 Class

Default Take a look at the Remington model 7 CDL

For me the Remington model 7 CDL version in 7mm-08 is about as good as it gets. The barrel is only 20 inches but it is very nice. If you move up the model 700 CDL 7mm-08 the barrel is 24 inches. I won't complain if HuntingMan buys me either one.

Karl