Rifle Fit - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Rifle Hunting
Rifle Hunting Discuss Rifle Season topics

Old 05-16-2012, 02:02 PM
B&C 140 Class

Default Rifle Fit

A recent thread got on the subject of people mounting scopes and sighting-in rifles for other hunters. This is OK for a starting point, but should definitely not be the way to enter the woods for hunting. There are so many variables that effect shooting in the configuration of the rifle-scope-anatomy matchup, that doing this for someone else and getting it right has as much chance as winning the lottery! There's no such thing as one size fits all. I have had to modify all of my rifles for length of pull and scope ring height as well as focus and eye relief. I am currently working on an adjustable cheek piece that can be switched from rifle to rifle so that I can get a rock-solid mount-to-face with eye in perfect alignment with scope. This not only improves accuracy, but acquisition of target. Let's hear about your feelings on this important piece of the shooting/hunting equation. (By the way, the new Ruger American has a removable/adjustable cheek piece available. I think the only current model with such an offering.)-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2012, 03:53 PM
B&C 140 Class

Default Scope placement on rifles...

I agree that there isn't enough said in the articles in magazines about the need to have a correct fit. We don't all have the same hole placement in our bowling balls but for some reason most people would never consider having a buttstock length changed for the rifle to fit them. I personally am a reverse stock crawler. I almost never have the scope back far enough for me. For some reason when I mount a rifle the scope is always to far forward for me unless I have it set WAY back or the buttstock shortened. Most stores that sell rifles and scopes offer to mount and boresight the scope for the purcheser. I can't count the number of shooters I have seen on the line that have to chase their scope to get the proper eye relief. I bring my tools to the range during sight in days just to loan them out to shooters after I point out that their scope can be adjusted back for a correct fit. I always ask them to stand up, close their eyes and then shoulder the rifle. When I say open your eyes most of them then have to slide their head forward on the buttstock to get the eye relief correct. This isn't the way it should be, but for some reason we put up with it. The problem is made worse here in Minnesota because in the late fall the temps are falling and we all layer up to keep warm. Eye relief that was a little off gets worse with lots of layers on.

Karl
Old 05-16-2012, 04:14 PM
B&C 140 Class

Great points, Karl, although I was a little worried about where you were going when you started saying, "...we don't all have the same hole placement..." I NEVER have my scopes mounted or bore-sighted at a gun shop; I don't trust them. I've seen new scopes badly damaged - crushed tubes - by so-called mounting experts. Plus, I feel that's something every shooter should learn how to do.
Your comment about bulky clothes is right-on, too. That can really "increase" your LOP to a dysfunctional lenghth.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:02 AM

Great discussion. Lately I've had trouble getting proper scope/rifle position set for me. I don't know what has changed, eyes for sure, but seems like the scope is too short even purchased set back rings but still having trouble. Don't know if the damn neck surgery has changed my head position??? This has happened on three rifles lately. Head position is too far forward to get full scope picture. This with the old Redfields of yesteryear that worked fine for a younger HM!
Old 05-17-2012, 09:29 AM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunting Man View Post
Great discussion. Lately I've had trouble getting proper scope/rifle position set for me. I don't know what has changed, eyes for sure, but seems like the scope is too short even purchased set back rings but still having trouble. Don't know if the damn neck surgery has changed my head position??? This has happened on three rifles lately. Head position is too far forward to get full scope picture. This with the old Redfields of yesteryear that worked fine for a younger HM!
HM, things DO change. I noticed that I was starting to have to pull my cheek up from the stock to look into the scope correctly, so I made the cheek piece pad mentioned above. I wish more firearms companies built some rifles models with raised cheek pieces, like they used to. Even though these wouldn't be perfect for everyone, it's pretty true that most rifles wind up with scope on them. Good luck with your situation!
Old 05-17-2012, 10:01 PM
Scrub Buck

Eye relief is one major factor.

Another is cheekbone position on the butt-stock.

You can see in the photo that I have had to build-up my cheek rest.

Now it works perfectly for me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rem 700 .300 RUM.jpg (92.3 KB, 7 views)
Old 05-18-2012, 05:21 AM
B&C 120 Class

I've set up a lot of long gun/scope combos for many guys and never had much of a problem other than a few ring height issues, and always check eye relief last before the final tightening. Until my bother in law's Savage 220 last year. Talk about the difference in people, I used low rings, always my first choice unless conditions warrant higher ones, and it fit me perfect. When he put it up, he was almost looking under the scope, I couldn't believe it. We found a really nice composite saddle type cheek piece that raised the cheek height 5/8", making it perfect for him, impossible for me to even look through it. Like you guys said, different people fit guns differently. As for the "change" issue, I noticed the last few years with my slug gun that I'm having to force my face a little further forward to get a good picture, before it was fine. I guess it's because I used to be 6'3", now I'm only 5'11" HAHAHA!!
Old 05-18-2012, 12:24 PM
Scrub Buck

Everyone's height decreases with age.

The padded disks between the bony vertebrae shrink as we get older.

Your face on the other hand tends to keep growing and widening.

Your eyes don't focus as well either after 40.

The warranty on our bodies seem to expire at 40, and then problems develop more and more every year.

In 2008 I had to have 2 surgeries in one year. First time ever in an operating room. Really scared me the first time. Second time was a piece of cake since I was used to it by then.

We all wear out.
Old 05-19-2012, 09:26 AM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoobee View Post

The warranty on our bodies seem to expire at 40, and then problems develop more and more every year.
We all wear out.

Sad, but hasn't it been fun wearing out!
Old 05-21-2012, 04:58 PM
B&C 140 Class

Default Just be glad we are not HORSES.....

At least they don't just shoot us, and make dog food out of us.

Karl