Deer Hunting Forums banner

surgery = new rifle, right?

3K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  Hunting Man 
#1 ·
The surgery on my shoulder went well, so it's time to start thinking about a new rifle. I want a .243, but not sure what brand. Bolt, of course. That's the scoop on the Marlin X7S?

#2 ·
Are you looking at a 243 strictly because recoil? I am not disputing the capabilities of the caliber. I have killed many deer with a 243 at distances up to 300 yards. I understand shoulder surgery. Back in 95 they sliced me open to stitch my rotator cuff back. Dang thing still gives me fits. Anyway, I would say the best value is in savage. They build them cheap and because they do so you get free floating barrels. Their accutriger is adjustable and though no jewell or even a timmy, for a factory trigger it is pretty good. If you are looking for something that looks good; look elsewhere. I have heard good things about the x7s but have not fired one. I do own a marlin in 45/70 and it is a great rifle. It is reliable and accurate. Also, the chamber seems to be a little oversized compared to other 45/70s I have shot. It makes cambering easier but shortens brass life. It also makes the rifle a little more picky about loads. I would say if you plan on getting the marlin you will most likely get a good rifle. If your undecided, take a look at savage and decide between the two. I hope the new guy didn't just start a fight here. Fact is: everyone will have an opinion based on their experiences in life. These are just mine.

#3 · (Edited)
Boy that new/old near 99% condition pre 64 Winchester model 70 in 243 with the custom scabbard made for it might just fit the Onehorse's needs and desires???? 3x9x40 Denver Redfield scope too. Would take some pretty good dollars to purchase :crybaby: but the Onehorse is loaded anyway and it would make a great western hunter's package. :ibtl: Us oldies know you won't find better quality in today's rifles unless you go full custom.

#4 ·
I assume it's your shootin shoulder.... From reading this forum I think if most of the members had a colonoscopy they would tell their wife (or husband) that they needed a new rifle.

I doubt there's any suggestion I could make that you haven't already considered.

Good luck with your recovery

#5 ·
Zastava Z98 in .243 Winchester. The synthetic stock has the best recoil pad (for an already low-recoiling round) that I've seen in swhile. Mauser 98 action identical to the Interarms Mark.X which Zastava used to make years ago.

#6 ·
1horse
Absolutely, a new rifle will give you the will to want to get better sooner, I'm sure anyone who lives with you would agree???
It doesn't work for me but let me know how you make out. My wife says fine you go out hunting the bucks and I'll go out and spend the bucks???
Oh well!
daddus

#9 ·
I am a fan of the Marlin long action version xl7

I think that I would also approve of the xs7, same Rifle 1/2 inch shorter. The Marlin provides a nice stock, barrel, and trigger. The only thing you give up is the dropping floorplate. I would personally compare the Marlin xs7 to the Ruger American and pick the one that fits you the best.

Karl

#10 ·
If I was treating myself to a rifle it would be a classic oldie in a nice walnut stock and proven action. For modest money a Remington model 700 Mountain rifle in 270 win will shoot with anything out there and has great lines. While mine is a vintage one it still looks like new. It is topped with a Leupold vx2 3x9x40. Another model I like and would love to have is a 300 sav in their classic model 700. The price has gone pretty high on these but what an excellent combination. One horse that 300 sav would be mild on the shoulder and a 260 remington shooting a speer 140 gr knocks deer off their feet with little recoil.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.